• This topic has 34 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by br.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Exposure Joystick
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve had a few front light fail on me in the past. Multiple brands, but always with the same trend. It always seems to be the cable between the light and the battery. As a result I’m thinking of getting a second light to complement my Hope Vision 2.

I can get an Exposure Joystick, with a Flare (convenient, my rear disappeared on the last ride), for £90. And an additional £16 for the helmet mount. Has anyone got experience with either of these? This price is from Rutland Cycles, anyone seen them any cheaper?

danielgroves
    Free Member

I should also add, it seems that one I’m looking at is a Mk.7

drslow
    Free Member

Got the same light, its great. I couldn’t find it anywhere cheaper than Rutland.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I’ve got a mk7joystick as a helmet light and it’s ace IMHO. Used it for 24 hour racing and night riding. It’s been perfect.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wouldnt buy any other brand of lights now.

Have had to use their aftersales after stupidity saw me drop my 5 year old maxx d. Fixed for 20 quid and posted back in under a week.

My joystick and maxx d are 5 years old and have just completed their 5th strathpuffer 24 and still seemed competitive. Certainly didnt slow me down.

When mrs t-r needed lights for 24 hr racing i bought her exposure lights one was. A mk7 joystick -also off the back of mine lasting so long. Its much brighter than mine is but also more of a spot- this is a good thing for a headmounted light.

She then won some nice rechargable commuting lights from the nice chaps at exposure

We like exposure lights and their staff.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Cheers gents. I may well be ordering one in the next couple of days then.

Its much brighter than mine is but also more of a spot

Perfect. My hope has a nice wide coverage, ideal for bar mounted. A helmet mounted spot is exactly what I was hoping for from it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Great helmet mounted light for mtb, or bar mounted for night time road riding and commuting. Use it all the time as a general purpose torch too, dog walking etc. Very versatile.

daveagiles
    Free Member

My Joystick that I recently got from Rutland came with the helmet mount, even though it wasn’t listed. GO for it!

oxym0r0n

Mr blobby +1

Yet to find a very reliable bar mount for my cx commuter though. Tried lock block and the genuine exposure one slips (not the super expensive bolt on one)

mrchrispy

Joystick on the lid and strada on the bars for my commute, they can see me from space.
    After years of messing about with different lights I have settled on exposure, expensive but worth it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

not the super expensive bolt on one

Have this on my winter road and commuter and it works very well. No slippage.

anotherstan
    Free Member

have owned a joystick for a couple of years now, i’m not impressed at all.
    battery life is crap and it’s not as bright as the cheap chinese things i have on my bars. it’s basically been demoted to my back-up light.
    sent it back in the early days contesting the performance, they swapped it for a new one …same results.
    wouldn’t have another exposure light.

loddrik
    Free Member

Bought a joystick from Rutland about 4 weeks ago, £75 with helmet mount and lanyard. Unbeatable price!

Northwind

It’s a very expensive torch,not particularily bright,and which loses the one big advantage torches have- changing the battery. Which is more of a problem these days with lipo as the batteries are more temperamental.

The clamp is genius though and they’re very small and light, and the convenience of a fully contained light can be good.

timwillows
    Free Member

Love mine

giantjason
    Free Member

I have a joystick for my helmet and a toro for the handlebars. I replaced these recently after my old joystick and enduro started to show signs of burn time reducing after nearly 6 years of use. I never had any issues with them and they never let me down.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just added a Redeye Micro today, can’t complain for a tenner.

mattbee

Had one for 3 years as a helmet light and can’t fault it.

roverpig

I dare say that somebody will be along soon with a negative experience, but it wont be me. I’ve got a Joystick for the helmet (and as a general torch). This goes with a Reflex on the bars for off road rides when it’s proper dark, but I’ll use the joystick on its own on the road or for those spring/autumn dusk rides. Can’t really fault it.

BadlyWiredDog

Sigh, it’s just a really expensive, overpriced candle. I don’t get why people get so excited about them, I spent hours trying to light mine and it just wouldn’t catch so I sent it back, the replacement was just as bad and now I have relegated it to use as a handy paperweight. Instead I just buy Chinese fireworks by the skip-load and jam them in my helmet vents, etc… 😉

tomtomthepipersson

I like my mk7 – it’s a neat little thing. But my Chinese torches are brighter and you can change the batteries in them… And they fit perfectly in the (over priced) exposure helmet mount.

I did have a problem with my joystick a while back – the switch seemed to die and it wouldn’t turn off. I let it run down and left it for a couple of weeks – then charged it up and it worked perfectly. Has been fine ever since.

Only really bought it cos it was on offer – 50 something quid. Still not particularly good value IMO. Probably wouldn’t buy another one.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Anyone know the difference between the Mk.7 and the Mk.8 exactly? Just trying to see if the Mk.8 is worth the extra £15.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I see nothing. Wnder if its in the software ?

They both weight 89g , have 400lm and 2900mah battery.

Rrp of the 7 was 165 quid
    rrp of the 8 is 129.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Thats what I was thinking too. At if it’s not just me who can’t see a difference I’m not being stupid 😀

br
    Free Member

I’ve an earlier one.

Cons
    Not as bright as the cheap lights.
    Far, far dearer.

Pros
    Compact
    3 hrs on full power and with the small piggy-back battery 6 hrs
    Good mount
    No wires
    On winter all-dayers I have it in my Camelbak just in case
    Works as well now as it has ever done.
    Charging is easy and can just be left on

Good product.

scaled
    Free Member

I love mine, compliments a fluxient 4x XML thing in the MTB bars and works as my road night riding and commuting light.

USB charger stays at work and it never gets charged at home. Burn time is hard to track as I mix between modes but 50 miles round dark lanes isn’t a problem.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Add to your pros list – good support both at events and return to base.

malvernite
    Free Member

It is a nice little light, but a bit useless compared to the cheap Chinese ones.
    Wiggle had a deal on these last year around March time and I bought one for £50 with a red eye micro, lanyard and head band thing.
    Maybe worth waiting to see if they do the same sales again in March.

TiRed

Bought one of the Wiggle ones last year. I have a Strada as well. The Joystick is normally the one I go to for the commute. Small powerful, easily charged. Funny enough, I don’t realluy like it on my helmet, but I have a very light helmet so notice the extra weight.

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve had a Joystick mostly for commuting since 2008 and it’s been really good. No sign of the battery losing charge. It’s now joined by a flash up front which is just as good.

I’d buy one of the bigger lights if I did night rides more than twice a year.

However I’m not so keen on the rear lights as everyone I’ve seen seems to be shining right in the eyes of the rider behind.

benp1

I really liked the idea of one, and still like the look of them, but decided that they aren’t actually that good for my purposes

They’re quite focussed and have a non replaceable/changeable battery

I run a Fluxient U2 mini on the bars of my road bike as it has a wide beam pattern (on flash, replaceable 18650 battery), and a Sunwayman V20c on my helmet for road and off road riding as it has a good blend of throw and flood (infinitely variable brightness and 18650 battery). This set up means one spare battery can cover both lights if needed

prettygreenparrot

Saw Exposure at last year’s Mayhem. They had some OK deals on factory seconds but I demurred, having just bought a light recommended by a fellow rider from Jazooli on amazon. The Jazooli light is a Magicshine-alike. It works. It is bright. It is a fair light for the money.

I just bought a Joystick Mk7 from Rutland. As a small light it is pretty darn good.
    The Joystick is a lot smaller than I remembered from Exposure’s stand. Although I was looking at the higher-end lamps like the MaxxD.

It is surprisingly bright. its “400 lumens” go a long way. Perhaps due to the beam pattern. Perhaps due to the honesty of the measurements.

A while back I bought an LED lenser torch from Maplin. It was on sale. I could not resist. It is bright. It uses 3 AAA cells. It has already had a replacement switch, happily provided by LED Lenser at their cost. As a torch it is great. I’d buy another. Its retail price is less than 1/2 that of the Joystick. Unsurprisingly, the joystick beats the LED lenser hands down for its brightness and beam pattern.

The joystick rocks. I’m looking forward to taking it on a ride rather than using it to light my way to my chickens early on a morning.

jimjam
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Wouldnt buy any other brand of lights now.

Same here. My diablo is getting on for five years old now and has never missed a beat. Five winters of pretty regular night riding. Used as a torch all year round, a fair bit of commuting ( 2 hours a day 3 – 4 days a week) and I even caught my dad using it to hammer bits of mortar out of a chimney breast he was working on.

It still shades many so called 2000 lumen (or more) chinese lights. Working in a bikeshop I’ve seen dozens of of people brag about their chinese lights only to have them fail, often multiple failures. Buy cheap, buy thrice.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yes after years mucking about and spending a fortune on cheap lights I now haven a full stable of exposure lights. Love the cable free design, range of accessories, back up, and the way they don’t set fire to my house like the Chinese lights have been known to do.

If you want extra batteries then you can get the piggyback batteries to extend run time and you can use the lights and piggybacks to recharge your phone or GPS as well.

Also they are much brighter than you would think from their lumen rating. My 1200 LM Toro gives much better lamination than my 2200 LM Troute lumen liberator.

br
    Free Member

They’re quite focussed and have a non replaceable/changeable battery

Yes, but the piggy-back batteries can be used with all Exposure lights; so like many I have two of their lights.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Joystick’ is closed to new replies.