Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exposure Flash / Flare – anyone use them and what do you think?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

Looking at getting a set of these for the commuter – more as a ‘be seen’ rather than ‘see’ thing. I saw a set in the flesh yesterday and was surprised how small they are, so do they work well enough to justify the big jump in price from my rather disposable LEDs that I have as emergency back ups?

I have to say, I think there’s a bit of a (good) trend in people starting to use lights as a motorcyclist would – having them on all the time, whatever the time of day – at this time of year. I think the USE interiew in the mag mentioned the idea too. I was road riding today and had my cheap eBay chinese front LED on with an Electron rear and felt a lot happier in the murk and gloom – it would just be nice to have a neater version…

Regarding the rear Exposure Flare – will it clamp to the seatstay rather than the seatpost ok? There do seem to be some negative comments about it pointing downwards, given the basic clamp it has – with some people shimming it to get it to work properly.

Anyway – your thoughts would be appreciated please! Cheers.

pdw
    Free Member

I tried hard to convince myself that I needed a Flare recently, but eventually settled on a Smart Lunar R1 for half the price. I looked at a Flare in the flesh before buying, but haven’t seen them side by side.

Aside from the price, it runs on 2 x AAA, meaning much better battery life, and I can use my existing charger. It comes with adjustable mounts for both seat post and seat stay, and you can buy a mount for a rack too.

Having just spent 5 hours on my road bike in the murk I’d also like to have a small “be seen” front light for bad weather rides, so I might yet get a Flash.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Mate has a flash/flare and they seem pretty good as be seen lights.

The rear doesn’t seem half as bright as their plug in redeye rear light though.

The flare would appear to be more waterproof than a smart which I seem destroy in one wet ride.

theboatman
    Free Member

I’ve been using a flash for the last 6 months as my daily commuting light, I opted to spend a bit more as I have got a bit sick of £20 front lights conking out. It has survived all the foul weather, nice and bright to get you noticed in city traffic and bright enough to light the dark country lanes on half of my ride. Easy to pop it off and slip it in your pocket, but secure enough on the bike. Rather oddly, if I flick the back of the light it switches between flashing and constant, but it has yet to change due to road bumps/ bangs. I picked up 2 batteries and charger from ebay for £12, from a uk seller. So far I’m pretty happy with it, but it’s only a light and I find it hard to get too excited about it.

PeteG55
    Free Member

A bloke I do road rides with has one, has it on all the time. Can’t fault the brightness and the pulsing light is a real attention grabber. Seriously considering one myself on that evidence.

Stu_N

I bought a set with rechargeable batteries and charger at the start of the winter after getting sick of lights dying on me.

So far wery happy with them – been used near-daily in all weathers and they have worked perfectly apart from once (see below). They are noticeable because of the pulse thing and far, far brighter than anything that size has any right to be. You can just about ride unlit paths with the Flash on constant, though wouldn’t do that out of choice. I use them as running lights this time of year so any time I’m out on the road and it’s not bright/ clear then they go on.

The only problem I’ve had is with the Flare. If you have the Flare on a bike without mudguards but not turned on, there is a tiny gap between the lamp and body that can get clogged with muck thrown up by the back wheel. If that happens it won’t turn on as the twist switch doesn’t make proper contact. Now I’ve worked that out they are seemingly impervious to water and mud.

Lummox

Only been using the rechargeable set since Xmas, I’m very impressed. Bright, compact, long burn time, simple quick mount.

2 negatives are

Cost
    Rear mount could do with some sorta angle changer to allow for more flexible mounting, I’ll be surprised if an aftermarket one doesn’t appear soon.

I think I’ve found the commuting lights I’ve been after.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feeback – really useful stuff. Has anyone seen them run on the seatstay though? They’d probably go on the bike with hte mudguards so will hopefully be well protected, but I often run a seatpack so mounting on the seatpost isn’t really going to work too well.

It’ll be the rechargable set that I’ll go for as I hate using disposable batteries, but they’re out of stock in a lot of places at the moment. 🙁

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of getting a set of these too. Do they just take standard 18650 rechargeables as I have a charger a 4 batteries already.

Stu_N

You wouldn’t get away with it on the seatstay with the standard mount – the mount is a fixed plastic thingy so it points down slightly on a seatpost; you can’t adjust the angle.

They take CR123A batteries – not sure if that is an 18650 by another name or what.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Oh right, no different battery. I think I may have a couple of them kicking about too.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I’m spending tomorrow afternoon wiring in my Supernova E3 dynamo lights onto my new build, front and rear. Fully waterproof, no battery issues, very bright. Can’t wait. 8)

I realise this has no relevance to the thread, but I just wanted to share the stoke. Good luck finding some good lights!

2hottie
    Free Member

Buy some they are ace, used mine a few times and also use the flash as a torch when needed. Small compact and really bright, highly recommended.

As for the mounting angle, I’m happy enough with it as it gives a wash of light over the rear wheel and the road.

If you have a set of these on your bike mixed with a fibre flare on your pack, there is no reason someone wouldn’t see you.

For mounting onto a seat stay consider a fibre flare and pop the exposure flare on the seat post.

Andituk
    Free Member

Yes, buy them. Expensive but very good. Very bright, very visible, and seem tough and waterproof, the demonstration I’ve seen of dropping them in a bowl of water seemed to work well anyway.

I run a fibre flare on steady on the seatstay too, and cars definetly seem to give you a wide berth.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeh another fibre flare on the seatstay user here. Only issue is that theyre not very well sealed and Ive already killed one which was replaced under warranty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exposure Flash / Flare – anyone use them and what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.