Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Exporting a route to a gps device.
  • lotto
    Free Member

I currently have a Garmin 200.
    I want to be able to export routes and receive turn by turn directions. Fancy a go at the Fred Whitton and other such rides.
    What devices has this ability please?
    Would it be worth me investing in a smartphone? My current mobile cost £3.96 from eBay and would not suffice. 🙂
    I don’t want to spend too much either.
    Thank you.

jonba
    Free Member

I don’t want to spend too much either.

Good luck?

I assume you want a map then?

Bryton 50
    Garmin 800/810
    Satmap
    Plenty out there.

The garmins are about £350 with maps though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Do you want a map?
    even ancient GPS’s such as my y2k etrex will let me send a route to it. It then drws a line from one waypoint to the next and shows a line where I am going. Assuming you are clever enough to plot waypoints just past a junction rather than on it you will be told to turn in the correct direction. a few years ago I did a 450 mile m/c trail ride from north to south wales like this without looking at a map once. Of course technology has changed.

lotto
    Free Member

No I don’t think I need a map on the device.
    When doing centuries I’ve always a map on me anyway.
    I just want to take some of the uncertainty out of the navigation enabling me to relax a bit more on the ride rather that constantly checking it in unfamiliar areas.
    If I had a device that confirmed and indicated to me where to turn and in conjunction with the map reading is about all I require.

bigmick25
    Free Member

I have a Garmin 200 (like you) and upload routes to that.
    It provides a breadcrumb trail that I’ve found to be adequate when following most trails and if you deviate more than 5 or so metres from the route it beeps so you don’t have to keep looking down at it all the time.
    Not so good on open moorland, but more than adequate for most trail journeys.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Once you have a 800 with car like sat nav routing and maps you wont want to go back to following bread crumb trails. Also cost wise ends up cheaper than maps if you do a lot of touring. Whole of UK from Birmingham down OS 1:50K about £50. You dont get many maps for £50.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Exporting a route to a gps device.’ is closed to new replies.