Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 414 total)
  • Explosions heard at Manchester Arena
  • kerley
    Free Member

I just wish even some of the coverage, scrutiny, mourning and outrage shown in this country was also shown whenever children are needlessly killed by bombs elsewhere around the world, all too often in incidents we as a country are connected to.

Yep, I don’t see a daily death toll for those children on the front of the Daily Mail. Presumably because we are the good guys.

deadkenny
    Free Member

km79 – Member 
    I just wish even some of the coverage, scrutiny, mourning and outrage shown in this country was also shown whenever children are needlessly killed by bombs elsewhere around the world

Indeed. Though BBC have an article on this, it was largely ignored in the UK

’At least 68 children among 126 killed’ in bus bombing

Though we dismiss it too easily because a) it’s Syria and b) it’s supposedly war.

Instead we have outrage on TV and radio I’ve been hearing over the last day with people calling for anyone who’s been to Syria or comes from there, to be sent back there.

Bregante

As per my previous post. Now confirmed that a colleague from a neighbouring force but who was seconded to our region is among the victims.
    RIP

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

As per my previous post. Now confirmed that a colleague from a neighbouring force but who was seconded to our region is among the victims.

Aw shit. Really sorry to read that. Sincere condolences. I am assuming that you’re one of Her Maj’s Finest, so the family will get support?

RIP.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is the same as what happens in Syria. Except there it happens all the time.

Imagine one or two bombings like this every day. That’s why people are trying to get out of Syria. So when you praise those taxi drivers giving free rides in Manchester, remember that they are not the only ones in need of help.

I know most of us here do.. so I guess this is more rhetorical than anything else.

@Bregante sorry to hear that.

mrmo
    Free Member

One thing lacking from UK news reporting is any attempt to analyse why. News seems to have lost interest in the background and is happy for cheap headlines.

gonzy
    Free Member

truly sorry to hear that Bregante

molgrips
    Free Member

One thing lacking from UK news reporting is any attempt to analyse why.

I was thinking that this is a good thing. I haven’t seen much finger-pointing at Muslims. Maybe they are waiting til more is known before talking about who and why. Another good thing imo.

Drac

Sorry to hear that Begante message me if you want to talk.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Bregante – Member 
    RIP

🙁 Really sorry to hear that. Just seen it mentioned on the news also.

mrmo
    Free Member

I was thinking that this is a good thing. I haven’t seen much finger-pointing at Muslims. Maybe they are waiting til more is known before talking about who and why. Another good thing imo.

thinking about context really, rather than harassing victims etc. I would rather there was a bit more in depth analysis rather than 30second soundbites. This is a general point not really this specifically. This isn’t really a “muslim” issue, as far as i am aware it is a subset of a subset of a subset. Maybe it would help if people actually understood a bit more about the context of why we are here. Maybe it would take the heat off those who happen to be Muslim but like the majority of the general population think this is wrong?????

franksinatra

My nine year old asked me why terrorists care whether kids go to concerts or not.

I had no answer to give

Drac

Newsround came up with a great article Frank.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/13865002

Harry_the_Spider

My 7 year old asked if The Devil was going to eat the bomber in Hell. She also wanted to know what sort of plane he had.

3 kids from her school were there. One was in the foyer area, but escaped without a scratch.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member 
    3 kids from her school were there. One was in the foyer area, but escaped without a scratch.

Terrible thing to witness though 🙁

samunkim
    Free Member

Terrorism

Now whole nation is waiting on next attack & further escalation of Terror

When do we actually say enough is enough, or do we just look forward to a negotiated settlement in a decade or so.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_3-23zAWM[/video]

igm

Dannyh
    I can understand and wish I couldn’t.
    I cannot excuse it or find any justification for it.

igm

Moly – agreed

Drac

I’m closing this why I tidy up the arguments.

Stop it please and show some respect. Take it elsewhere preferably a different forum.

Bregante – Member
    RIP

igm

Drac – you’ve removed what I thought was a reasonably respectful reply to the “When do we actually say enough is enough” comment.

I’ll try again and I’ll try to keep it respectful. If I fail please delete.

We don’t say enough because we can’t. You can stop a percentage of incidents through better security, but if by dong so you alienate people you increase the likelihood of an attempted incident. And if by doing so you lose the freedoms that make our society worth living in then you just lost. There is therefore a balance.
    Beyond that balance it is societal pressures that you need to use. Make people feel part of society and that they are invested in it and they are both less likely to get involved in an incident and more likely to stop it. Call them the problem and they will be.

Think of everything from football hooligans in cages at matches to the peace process in Northern Ireland.

And in Manchester many folk of a Muslim persuation were going out of their way to be clear that they are part of British society and they were doing what they could to help. Far more than most of us typing away on t’interweb. So start from there and see what positive things can be done.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Drac I have numerous first hand experiences of Terrorism including sitting 8 feet from my colleague Mark Zwyenberg who lost his life over Lockerbie. I do appreciate however that there is a sense of “how soon” making a comment is appropriate.

Drac

Drac – you’ve removed what I thought was a reasonably respectful reply to the “When do we actually say enough is enough” comment.

It was but sadly it spawned too many other responses and got caught in the delete.

So please do Jamba.

sobriety
    Free Member

When do we actually say enough is enough, or do we just look forward to a negotiated settlement in a decade or so.

I’d love a negotiated settlement, historically that’s how we’ve dealt with our terrorists, find out what they want, give them some of it so they stop blowing things up.

With the current crop, I’m not sure that’ll ever work, as their stated aim is the end of our civilisation 🙁

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

too close to home for me….

The 14 year old girl Sorrell Leczkowski who horribly murdered on Monday is(was) my nieces friend from school.

My best friend who is a consultant anaesthetist at MRI and has been heavily involved with many of the operations

Speaking to both of them this eve was horrific , sat here wife out boys asleep crying my eyes out….

igm

Not nice UFG. My sympathies.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’m not very keen on nationalism and waving flags but a flag “en berne” with its black tie expresses my thoughts today.

Drac

Terrible. UFG 🙁

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Sorry Reposting to top again – if you have something shit to say read below…

unfitgeezer – Member
    too close to home for me….

The 14 year old girl Sorrell Leczkowski who horribly murdered on Monday is(was) my nieces friend from school.

My best friend who is a consultant anaesthetist at MRI and has been heavily involved with many of the operations

Speaking to both of them this eve was horrific , sat here wife out boys asleep crying my eyes out….

squirrelking
    Free Member

And someone I know on another forum is friends with one of the poor bastards putting the “victim packs” together. Basically trying to reunite bits with bodies for the purposes of identification. Seemingly two had their phones melted to their hands.

This is what has happened and what people are dealing with. Please take a moment to reflect on that and consider whether this is really the time for internet cockbaggery. I’m frankly sick of hearing Drac at this point, nobody should have to repeat themselves that often, if it was me the hammer would have fallen after the first warning.

durhambiker
    Free Member

Went to the Trafford Centre last night to watch a film, and driving back home along the M60 the signs saying “Major incident Manchester City Centre, expect delays” made it seem so trivial. Thinking at that time what that incident was choked me up. A good mate of mine is a Family Liaison Officer for GMP and it seems the last couple of days have been very tough to deal with for him and his colleagues. Others have said it already but to anyone involved in dealing with the aftermath, thank you and look after your own well being. Stay safe out there, and don’t bottle your feelings up either. Find someone to talk to if you need to.

And to any of you who have been affected in anyway by it, however big or small, you’re in my thoughts.

thegreatape
    Free Member

And someone I know on another forum is friends with one of the poor bastards putting the “victim packs” together. Basically trying to reunite bits with bodies for the purposes of identification. Seemingly two had their phones melted to their hands.

My colleague does this. It’s horrendous.

RickDraper
    Free Member

^ Video is actually United fans in Stockholm I believe.

gonzy
    Free Member

there will be a nationwide minutes silence held at 11am today in memory of those who tragically lost their lives

please make sure you observe it everyone

project
    Free Member

there will be a nationwide minutes silence held at 11am today in memory of those who tragically lost their lives

please make sure you observe it everyone

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well said @gronzy and yes indeed

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Just got back ….. dusty in bolton

durhambiker
    Free Member

I’ve pinched that graphic Binners, as I’ve decided to try to raise some funds doing the Lakesman triathlon in a few weeks time. I wasn’t going to bother as it was a personal challenge, but as a Manchester resident even if I can add a few quid to the appeal then it helps.

So if anyone feels like chucking a few quid in, here’s my JustGiving page, and I can assure you I’m undertrained and overweight and it’ll be a long, tough day.

frankconway

Being reported in telegraph that abedi’s house was ‘bomb making factory’ with substantial chemicals stash.
    The police view now appears to be that he was the bomb maker and is likely to have made more devices – which have not been found.

Cougar

Link for that?

frankconway

Telegraph & BBC websites; also see front pages of Times & Guardian for linked/supporting information as corroboration.
    R4 midnight news described abedi as ‘bomb maker’.
    They could all be wrong or over-stating the facts.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 414 total)

The topic ‘Explosions heard at Manchester Arena’ is closed to new replies.