Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Exploring local trails.
  • rustler
    Free Member

Isnt it great… 🙂
    So last night, instead of just blindly loading up the car & heading for the local trail centre (20mins), I decided to just go exploring locally. Quickly found some nice cheeky little trails. Bit of creativity linking them together & I have the makings of a nice route straight out the door. Scanning Get-a-Map now, on the OS website, along with GoogleMaps. Cant wait to try some bridleways & few other cheeky trails I’ve spotted.
    Feel like a kid at the start of summer hols again.
    Thats all. 😀

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yep, is great fun. See something nice? Ride it. Smile.
    Looking over aerial photos can give you some good ideas. I always find myself studying woods and hills whenever I pass them on the train too.

TooTall
    Free Member

wheresthepath is a VERY useful wee thingy. Google satellite view on one side, OS map on the other. Exploring the riding from your house is so satisfying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rewski
    Free Member

Not just me that studies google earth then 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Google earth, OS maps, openstreetmap and bikeroutetoaster have all helped me to piece together some local routes. admitedly theres not miles of amazing singletrack descents, but for getting out and having a quick local spin they are great.

In fact jumping on a bike and exploring is pretty much what started me off cycling in the first place.

peachos
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    wheresthepath is a VERY useful wee thingy. Google satellite view on one side, OS map on the other. Exploring the riding from your house is so satisfying

that’s good that is, i like! i use bikehike for plotting route as it works in a similar way, but this one has old styled maps too.

phiiiiil

Don’t forget Geograph! Often useful for finding out the state of a path in reality…

Keva
    Free Member

Yup, love doing it and don’t do it enough. A few weeks back on the Royal Wedding day a mate and myself decided to go out and extend a known 30mile loop. We rode off with a couple of maps in pocket and managed to find another 10miles of good trails to link into it, and there’s definitely more to add on to that or change the route again to head in another direction. One for this w/end probably.

Kev

rustler
    Free Member

Nice one. Some good tips there.
    On a more technical note, one of my local bridleways crosses a dual carriageway, HERE, however from Streetview it looks somewhat overgrown. Also, is it legal to cross a dariageway like that ? Clambering over the barrier sort of style… 😐 Is there a local officer / official who is the point of contact for this kind of thing ?

flow
    Free Member

Proper mountain biking!

allmountainventure
    Free Member

+1 for new stuff.

flow
    Free Member

-1 for +1, gets on my tits!

wallace1492
    Free Member

-1 for +1, gets on my tits!

+ 1,000,000

flow
    Free Member

+ 1,000,000’s fine though

LapSteel
    Free Member

+1 for tits!

Rustler, normally there will be overlapping barriers so you can zig zag between them to cross the road. That’s a bit unusual having a continuous barrier across a bridleway crossing.
    Try reporting it via http://www.fixmystreet.com/

I do most of my local exploring by looking at what’s on the OS map, then going out to see if it’s ridable. Usually it is, at least in one direction.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Exploring local trails.’ is closed to new replies.