Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Exploding tyre!….
  • stufive
    Free Member

Went to work this morning on my road bike I pumped the tyres up to 115 psi before I left, got to work and put the bike in the boiler room as usual and locked the door, went to get it this afternoon and the rear inner tube had exploded blowing 8 inches of the tyre ( brand new Michelin pro 4) off the rim in the process! How is this possible?….glad I wasn’t descending a hill when it happened 😕

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Warm room ( boiler room?) expanded the air in the tubes increasing the psi ,mebbe?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

115psi WTF . It’s possible you had pinched the tube when fitting the tyre , they can take a while to go but when they do it makes your ears ring for a while if you are in the vicinity .

andyl
    Free Member

only way it would get hot enough is if it was touching something hot.

Probably a pinch as above.

Northwind

When we were in the south of france, ChrisL had a tyre puncture at a rest stop just with the heat of the sun- an old patch came off, but I figure the same sort of thing could happen with seams in the tube etc?

(it was brilliant, incidentally. Sorry Chris)

stufive
    Free Member

I usually run them about 110 rear and 90-100 front the room is warm but not really hot and the rear wheel was nearest the door not touching anything like you say maybe a pinch they are quite tight to get on,have to use a leaver?

rewski
    Free Member

could be weak spot in the rubber, I’ve had a few blow, even ripped the wall of my tyre Very loud.

MoreCashThanDash

Had this myself a few weeks ago – same type of tyre actually. Bike was in the car behind my left ear when there was a colossal BANG! and a whoosh of air past my ear. Similar whoosh of air out my arse as well.

No idea what had caused it, tyre had been on several weeks with no issues. Was easier to get the tyre off as half of it was blown off the rim

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve had a pinched inner tube go after completing a 15 mile test ride, it was latex though, butyl ones normally go when you’re inflating them if you’ve pinched it. Possibly the tyre bead failed/popped off (any dings in the rim)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Exploding tyre!….’ is closed to new replies.