Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Exploding tubeless – Roval tyres
  • simonm
    Free Member

On our regular night ride tonight on a nice twisty descent my front tyre literally exploded off the rim, sounded exactly like a shotgun shot. I'm running a specialized Roval Traverse tubeless with sealant. The Tyre is a specialized Eskar S-Works 55a/65a. I've had three issues in last couple of months now with these rims, two roll offs on the rear, one at Lee quarry when cornering, another on local ride after a 2' drop off leaning hard over… I've run stans flows tubeless with now issue.. loosing faith in this wheelset.

Anyone else had an explosive roll off like that ?

tazzymtb

yep but with racing ralphs on a stans rim, tends to happen with a light tyre/thin sidewall/bead that stretches over time and then lets go. Now use snake skin schwalbe and no issues, possibly the same cause with yours

simonm
    Free Member

thanks Tazzy, couldn't believe it would explode with that noise !

scaredypants

are they UST tyres or ordinary ? (UST seem to have a much beefier bead)

(edit) Once blew a UST nobby nick off a stans flow but the tyre had an obvious flaw in the moulding and a very pronounced bulge in the sidewall. I initially thought it was just because the bead hadn't seated right, but as I inflated to "set" it, tyre blew off at only about 35-40 psi

(luckily no jizz was involved in the making of this story)

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Had a Bonty tyre explode on me riding uphill on tarmac on a very hot day.

Turns out that the Stans sealant had (probably) de-laminated the inner and outer casings over a period of time. Result – gunshot effect, instant deflation.

Which sealant you using?

[EDIT: reading the OP more carefully, this isn't really relevant – sorry!]

naokfreek
    Free Member

(luckily no jizz was involved in the making of this story)

Outstanding.

Northwind

Never had any concerns with mine, tbh they've been fantastic, light enough that I'll be taking them racing but strong enough that they only broke a little bit when I took them to fort william :mrgreen:

heihei

Had a UST Nobby Nic explode of my Rovals whilst it was in the back of my car at the station. Made a right mess!

FuzzyWuzzy

Not had it happen on my Traversees either, I stick to 35-40psi though and don't use especially lightweight tyres.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Exploding tubeless – Roval tyres’ is closed to new replies.