Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Exploding Maxles
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Anyone experienced this with the new ones?

Not even ridden my HT yet, but adjusted direction of handle (usingYT
    vid)and the mechanism just broke. Handle off in my hand and hinging spindle
    Just sheared.

Warranty??

lawman91

Likely to be due to over-tightening the lever. Have not seen any new style Maxles fail on their own, only when they’ve tried to be done up to the metric F-ton. I may be wrong but I’d be surprised if it would be warranty if this is the case.

nickc

yeah mine did the same about 3 months ago, had an old one lying about that was pressed into service which is about 5 years old and “just works” never got round to sending it back, might have even chucked it in the bin

New ones are mega money as well..!

Northwind

Mine (front) snapped off without much force, – the lever itself was all fine but there was a wee bit in the mechanism that snapped. I didn’t own the fork from new so I couldn’t say “never overtightened” but it was just normal operating pressure when it broke. Wasn’t that impressed tbh, the old ones were pretty different and seemed much more durable

I stuck a stealth in it, much tidier.

Yak

If you think maxles are fragile – don’t go anywhere near a marzocchi one!

nickc

I’m as about as far from Gorilla tightening as it’s possible to get as I have the upper arm strength of a small child. 😆

I think there’s maybe a bit in mechanism that’s a bit fragile

northshoreniall

Mine failed last month similar circumstances, only 6 months old. Replaced under warranty thankfully. Not mega tightened either.

eddie11
    Free Member

i managed to bend a maxle axle in a crash which i didn’t think was possible. Ive replaced it with the hex key only one. Its the new 50% lighter weight weenie enduro accessory for a clean look if you look on pink pike but i chose it because i’m tight and it was much cheaper and there’s nothing to go wrong. We’ll see how much having tool only front wheel release annoys me.

pipiom
    Free Member

I followed the instructions in my usual an£l fashion (even checking the
    Imprint on my hand with the vid) it didn’t even ping or do any sort of snapping action.It just plopped
    apart ( if plopping apart is a thing)

Northwind

Yeah, that’s exactly what it was like for me- felt a bit like stripping a thread rather than breaking a bit of metal

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Imprint on my hand with the vid) it didn’t even ping or do any sort of snapping action.It just plopped
    apart ( if plopping apart is a thing)

Probably is but nowhere near as exciting as exploding. Perhaps get the bomb squad in for that one

philjunior
    Free Member

Call me naive, but shouldn’t something that’s pretty important not to come loose and has no facility for using a torque wrench, or positive identification that there’s enough force, be able to take a decent amount of force anyway, or is there some method available to obtain the correct adjustment on the new maxles?

I’d say warranty.

pipiom
    Free Member

Not that I can see….I’ve seen guys pummel the old QRs with no problems (apart from undoing in 6 months)

Graham at Slam69 built the bike and he’s going to sort the warranty and send me a Maxle Stealth

What a good chap he is

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Exploding Maxles’ is closed to new replies.