Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Explain tapered head tubes to me and then headsets
  • mildred

anyone?

I'm looking at the new 5 frame and it has a tapered head tube. I've also looked at headsets and thats a real skullfuck.

Does anyone have any idea which headset to get a for a 2011 5?

coatesy
    Free Member

Will obviously depend on whether you have a standard or tapered steerer on your fork.Orange are using a Cane-Creek model as standard, with a cartridge bearing at the bottom/cup and cone at the top.Pretty sure Hope will soon be able to supply something to suit every eventuality if they haven't already done so.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Yeah the standard heady is a CC – ZST25 tapered to be exact.

Have you got a tapered steerer on your forks?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    partyboy
    Free Member

What is so hard to understand about tapered headsets? Try calling Orange if you are unable to use the internet 🙄

poppa
    Free Member

What is so hard to understand about tapered headsets? Try calling Orange if you are unable to use the internet

Pianist.

Johnbot
    Free Member

What is so hard to understand about tapered headsets? Try calling Orange if you are unable to use the internet

That's the spirit

mildred

Yay, that is the spirit! Well done Partyboy – perhaps your all knowing wisdom and magical web skills will point me in the right direction to the cycling website that tells me which headset I should buy for tapered headtubes (given there seems to be numerous different standards out there which cater for intergrated, semi-intergrated etc.).

But hey, guess what, phoning Orange is exactly what I did just prior to posting this thread (being an obvious retard for not instinctvely understanding something new to the industry). From their technical dept:

Orange: "Why don't you just order it from us with a headset installed"

Me "Well, I've already ordered it, and I'm not the biggest fan of Cane Creek headsets. Is there any chance of telling me which format I should buy from another manufacturer?"

Orange: "You could get your LBS to phone and ask us for a Hope one installing – the different sizes and formats is quite confusing and it'd be a pain to get the wrong one".

Me "You're not kidding, I'll look into that, and see if they're not too late. Is it possible you can tell me the correct one anyway?"

Orange "Ok, thanks for calling" Click.

To all the other helpful people, my forks are a standard 1 1/8" steerer. ZST25 is just Cane Creeks model name for the one fitted to the Orange, so doesn't tell me anything about the measurements I should buy – I've checked the CC website and it doesn't give anything away there either.

poppa
    Free Member

Weird, that's the only thing partyboy has ever posted on this forum. Hope you get some help soon!

mildred

Yes, I pondered that one.

Anyway, I rang the dealer and I've asked for the Hope headset installing. Saves the hassle and I'm a bit of a hope fan.

Cheers all.
    Mark

elaineanne
    Free Member

Nice …. glad you've got hope as i got a 'Hope' headset as an upgrade for my orange five last year…. but with the new tapered head tube this year they will be different….. im a Hope fan too ! 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

ps : hmmm there are some real 'cheeky/'cocky sods on ere sometimes..(thats my nice way of putting it cos im a nice person…. …when all you want is abit of advice just occaisionaly..theres always one isnt there !
    seen it time over ! 😕

Scoobster
    Free Member

Mildred tried emailing you re:boxxers pics but keep getting failure notices saying your inbox is full.?????

duir
    Free Member

My bike has variable geometry and the tapered headtube apparently can have stiffness but not extra weights benefits as well as allowing the headtube to be shorter and in turn long and low. However I think the more important feature is that it allows the geometry to be changed so depending on what fork you run (130/140/150/160) you can optimise the frames intended geometry. Their website has an advice sheet on what to use (regular/inset/or mixed) and that's how the designer meant it to ride.

For me I can't be arsed with variable geometry and didn't have any specific desire for a tapered tube so I just bought the right headset as recommended and leave it like that for everything. Would I have noticed if it wasn't tapered?………….no!

Who makes them? Mine came with a free Mythic tapered headset that had an adapter to allow use with tapered or non tapered steerers. Cane creek do a really nice one as do King (inset) and no doubt ope will too soon.

mildred

Scoobster it'll be the size of photo files. If you're sending multiple pics you'll have to send them on separate emails.

Cheers,
    Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Explain tapered head tubes to me and then headsets’ is closed to new replies.