• This topic has 51 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by poly.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Explain nut allergies to me.
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

How serious are they and why do they seem to be a recent phenomenon?

IanMunro
    Free Member

It’s just people wanting attention, like asthma and hayfever.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

For a more useful response than above, this site has a lot of good info:
    http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/

stealthcat

How serious? My brother was at school with a girl who died as a result of a nut allergy.

Recent? It was about 20 years ago…

tinman66
    Free Member

Don’t know about pure nut allergies but I’m allergic to all fresh fruit and nuts. It only started about ten years ago when I started having a reaction if I ate fresh fruit. Used to eat loads of fruit as a kid, always been really healthy then it suddenly started. Now I can’t eat / drink anything with fruit in it.

And no its not looking for attention – trust me, your throat swelling up, not being able to breath and your body covered in hives is no fun. Also have to carry an epi pen just in case.

Junkyard
    Free Member

like fish very serious – someoen near me died froma takeaway where the pan had been used for cooking cashews and not washed properly so in extreme cases it is fatal with just traces

Anyone see QI and walnuts[ was it Brazils?] – apparently you can transmit them to a partner in your love juice!!

dan1980
    Free Member

I did first aid cover for an schools outreach event, were one of the darling little students had a “Severe nut allergy” and carried an eppipen.

I caught him eating a snickers at lunch time…..

I think it’s one of those “How long is a piece of string” questions, some people may have quite severe reactions, others might just get a little bloated and windy.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Ian, the link was helpful. Quick look at the FAQs shows that the allergy is entirely manageable. The death referenced above is likely to be the result of not having an adrenaline shot to hand; I get the impression that it’s more common now and therefore better understood and better managed. I wonder why it’s more common now though?

wwaswas

I caught him eating a snickers at lunch time

my wife can eat peanuts but has trouble breathing following a Pistachio.

you don;’t have to be allergic to all nuts to have a nut allergy.

johndoh
    Free Member

Ahh, but did he die after eating it?

DrP

I wonder why it’s more common now though?

Hmm, possibly to do with a multitude of factors, possibly including the addition of certain nuts to our diets (or not) early on in life/whilst mum is pregnant…..
    Or there’s always the ‘recognition’ factor (just because you record more event, doesn’t mean there are more events).

I might have a look into it (or if anyone really knows, please inform the group!)

DrP

bwaarp
    Free Member

Increase in nut allergies? Well this has been used as a potential explanation. Studied this for an essay during my clinical immunology module.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Cougar

I did first aid cover for an schools outreach event, were one of the darling little students had a “Severe nut allergy” and carried an eppipen.

I caught him eating a snickers at lunch time…..

Peanuts aren’t nuts.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Peanuts aren’t nuts.

😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Hmm, possibly to do with a multitude of factors, possibly including the addition of certain nuts to our diets (or not) early on in life/whilst mum is pregnant…..

I’ve heard it suggested that the addition of peanut oil in baby creams and lotions could be a factor.

my wife can eat peanuts but has trouble breathing following a Pistachio.

Aren’t pistachios actually nuts whilst peanuts are legumes ?

wwaswas

she’s ok with Almonds (or are they a type of banana?) too.

mt
    Free Member

Cashews are not nuts.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought that almonds weren’t nuts ?

wwaswas

Cashews are not nuts.

It’s a minefield this whole nut allergy malarkey, isn’t it?

wwaswas

oh, ffs, wikipedia says that almonds are type of peach.

are real nuts just mythical?

johndoh
    Free Member

Cashews are not nuts.

Aren’t they part of a Brazilian pear or something?

alfabus
    Free Member

Peanuts aren’t nuts.

my brother is allergic to nuts, and at this point he would be making his regular ‘donut’ joke.

Dave

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

bwaarp your first link says that the most common allergy was to milk and dairy products. Surely what they are referring to is food intolerance which is quite different to an allergic reaction ?

Northwind

Well, the 2 get used pretty interchangable- like, coeliac is an autoimmune disease not an allergy, but if you talk about autoimmune disease everyone thinks of AIDS, whereas if you talk about food allergy everyone thinks “Don’t feed this man wheat or he’ll spew buckets”.

Also, when you talk about food intolerance, people think it’s less severe than food allergy. “Oh you get bloaty?” “No, I get osteoperosis and cancer”

As for these things being a recent phenomenon- it’s more that awareness is better. It used to be people with allergies/intolerances just had to get on with it in the face of ignorance/disinterest, and in all honesty it was completely rubbish. “Does this food have wheat in it?” “I ain’t telling you my recipe mate, it’s secret. Have the salad if you’ve got a problem with that”

Not that everyone’s totally helpful these days, but at least a lot more people have a clue.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m assuming they’re talking about proper allergies as opposed to intolerance as you can actually have a milk allergy. Otherwise they would have worded it differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

Milk allergy is the most common food allergy in early childhood. It affects somewhere between 2% and 3% of infants in developed countries, but approximately 85–90% of affected children lose clinical reactivity to milk once they surpass 3 years of age

Northwind –

As for these things being a recent phenomenon- it’s more that awareness is better. It used to be people with allergies/intolerances just had to get on with it in the face of ignorance/disinterest, and in all honesty it was completely rubbish. “Does this food have wheat in it?” “I ain’t telling you my recipe mate, it’s secret. Have the salad if you’ve got a problem with that”

I have read a lot of literature that suggest food allergies are increasing though.

Northwind

Yep, I think that’s true too Bwaarp. But it’s a combination of factors. Diagnosis is better, treatment is better (so there’s better arguments for treatment). Food consumption patterns change too. (frinstance, sticking with wheat- it’s far more commonplace today for wheat to be used in food for non-nutritional purposes, ie thickener/bulker. And pre-made foods are more common)

But it does seem like allergies in general are on the rise. That I know not much about.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Dunno, I’m assuming they’re talking about proper allergies as opposed to intolerance as you can actually have a milk allergy. Otherwise they would have worded it differently.

Agreed. But I’m struggling to believe that a study showed that milk allergy was more than twice as common among children as peanut allergy. Peanut allergies make all the headlines but children dying of milk allergies don’t.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Aren’t pistachios actually nuts whilst peanuts are legumes ?

Apparently this is correct. I just got off the phone with the Anaphylaxis Awareness Campaign and they explained that this is indeed true.

The instance of food and all other allergies, such as asthma and hay fever, is indeed on the increase. The ‘hygiene hypothesis’ has been suggested as an explanation but is not conclusive. Instances of allergic reactions though are lower in third world countries apparently.

This all came about because my son’s nursery is trying to implement a ‘nut free zone’ policy and that struck me as being both impractical and unfair. The Anaphylaxis Campaign seems to agree saying that the best approach is to have policies and procedures in place to manage the situation rather than hope there will be no nuts in the school (which totally rules my son out anyway as he’s nutty as a fruit cake 😀

Agreed. But I’m struggling to believe that a study showed that milk allergy was more than twice as common among children as peanut allergy

This was also confirmed as true but the caveat is that the majority of children grow out of milk and egg allergies.

wwaswas

My daughters school banned bread/rolls with sesame seeds on as some kid had a ‘proper’ allergy to them.

Problem is trying to stick up for your right to send the lunch of your choice in is that you;re accused of putting some other childs life at risk for ‘no real reason’.

Northwind

It’s supposed to be to stop the child that isn’t allowed them from feeling singled out. Though in my school, it’d lead to “Because of freak-boy there we’re not allowed proper food, let’s get him”.

It’s difficult with young kids tbh. In fact it’s not even all that easy as an adult! Over-reactions abound.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Instances of allergic reactions though are lower in third world countries apparently.

Hasn’t a link between a lack of internal parasites and allergic reactions been established ? Which would help to explain lower instances in third world countries. It seems that our idle first world immune systems need a challenge to keep them occupied.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Problem is trying to stick up for your right to send the lunch of your choice in is that you;re accused of putting some other childs life at risk for ‘no real reason’.

The response is that your not putting another child at risk. Certainly in secondary school, the children need to start taking responsibility for their condition as it’s not going to go away and you can’t hope to avoid whatever it is your allergic to your whole life.

In nursery or primary schools, the more effective policy is containment and management within the school premises. At least that’s what the Anaphylaxis Campaign are saying.

It seems that our idle first world immune systems need a challenge to keep them occupied.

That’s what was suggested to me as well.

DrP

It was only until a few years ago that I realised peanuts=monkey nuts.

DrP

Junkyard
    Free Member

in general i would agree GT1972 but for the sake of not using bread with sesame seeds on it – which do fall off all the time i think I could cope.
    I suppose it depends what it is they ask – nothign with oyster sauce – probably easy – nothing with gluten in it probably hard etc

they do need to manage but i suspect the school are scared of being sued tbh

batfink
    Free Member

I’ve heard it suggested that the addition of peanut oil in baby creams and lotions could be a factor.

I seem to remember being told something like this in a lecture at university. Apparently it’s to do with the use of nut oil in emollients which are/were commomly given for childhood exzema. Prolonged exposure to the oils leads to sensitisation.

Found the link: BBC news

geetee1972
    Free Member

I suppose it depends what it is they ask – nothign with oyster sauce – probably easy – nothing with gluten in it probably hard etc

I thought that was pretty funny actually – the three year old going to nursery with beef in oyster sauce!

Obviously the nursery my son goes to is targeting things like peanut butter and muesli bars, his two favourite things, which makes life a bit harder.

poly
    Free Member

Quick look at the FAQs shows that the allergy is entirely manageable. The death referenced above is likely to be the result of not having an adrenaline shot to hand; I get the impression that it’s more common now and therefore better understood and better managed. I wonder why it’s more common now though?

This all came about because my son’s nursery is trying to implement a ‘nut free zone’ policy and that struck me as being both impractical and unfair. The Anaphylaxis Campaign seems to agree saying that the best approach is to have policies and procedures in place to manage the situation rather than hope there will be no nuts in the school

You’ve never seen someone in proper anaphylactic shock have you? Terrifying for the person, the staff, the other children. Obviously training and discussion etc can help manage that experience just as it would with someone with e.g. epilepsy etc – but we are not taking about someone getting dry skin or an itch here – it is potentially life threatening*, and failing to take a simple precaution like not having nuts in around is stupid, especially at nursery school age. As pupils get older it becomes more reasonable to expect them to understand their condition and avoid appropriately; but in the most extreme cases no physical contact with the nut is required simple proximity is all that is needed [although fatal reaction would be very unusual from such a small dose].

There is anecdotal evidence (but as far as I know no clinical evidence) that subsequent anaphylaxis gets progressively more serious. i.e. first attack minor, second attack worse, third attack very nasty etc. Given that those vulnerable to anaphylaxis can expect to avoid suspect foods and therefore subsequent attacks will most likely be from lower doses this is probably hard to prove. But if that is even partly true then avoidance is actually quite important in terms of long term prospects – think of it as a cat with 9-lives – is it only the final person that kills them or all the preceding ones too?

Life is unfair. It IS unfair that some people have to live with a risk of sudden life threatening condition though no fault of their own. It is unfair that those people will never get the pleasure of a coffee and walnut cake, or a chicken and cashew nut, etc. I’m not sure its really unfair to ask that you don’t send in nuts with your child and risk serious harm to others with a known risk. Your child will still be able to enjoy their snack at another time.

* People will normally only carry one epipen with them. What do you do if they have forgotten it, broken it, the staff can’t find it, etc. Even with adrenaline some people do not respond with the first treatment – and need a second dose (perhaps 1/3rd of serious incidents). There are about 20 fatalities a year in the UK (a third of them due to food) – which isn’t a huge number but try telling that to the parents of a child who dies in your nursery because another parent was too selfish to account for their condition! Survival rates are good but not guaranteed; underlying other health problems like asthma make it difficult to judge how likely a child suffering anaphylaxis is a nursery is to die.

neninja
    Free Member

I’m asthmatic and also allergic to nuts. It’s not for attention seeking 😉

I’m allergic to all the things people traditionally call nuts almonds, peanuts, cashews, etc but not to seeds like sesame, poppy, sunflower etc.

The allergy was worst in childhood. Simply rubbing a peanut on my skin brings it out in hives. When I play poker with the lads they can’t eat peanuts as after touching the cards if I then touched my eyes they would swell up.

On holiday in Turkey a couple of years ago I ate something with nuts in without realizing. Within minutes my body was covered in large fluid filled blisters and my eye lids and throat started to swell up. Not nice. Fortunately taking a couple of antihistamines caught it but it took days for the swelling around my eyes to subside.

I’ve got a couple of epi-pens at home but have never had occasion to use them (I only got them after being told to by a paramedic friend when I got back from Turkey).

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’ve never seen someone in proper anaphylactic shock have you?

No that’s true, but to be fair mate, I’m not advocating anything that the experts aren’t advocating as best practise. The aim is to keep everyone safe, not implement an impractical and misguided policy because of either parent pressure or fear of litigation.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Explain nut allergies to me.’ is closed to new replies.