Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Explain gear ratios to me
  • edward2000
    Free Member

So I’m in the process of going 1 x 11 with Srams 10/42 cassette. Currently I use 26/36 and 11/36 cassette. I’ve brought a 36 ring for the front for the 11 speed conversion. To calculate the get ratio do I just divide the front with the rear and compare numbers?

I’m concerned my 36 tooth ring will be too big. What size ring at the front do I need to have to have the same ratio as the 26/36 setup at the moment?

Thanks

richmars

To calculate the get ratio do I just divide the front with the rear and compare numbers?

Yes, so long as the wheel size stays the same.

crazy-legs

Chainring/sprocket x wheel size in inches
    So your lowest gear at the moment is (26/36) x 26 (or 27.5 or 29 as applicable)
    And your highest gear is (36/11) x (wheel size).
    Lower the number the lower the gear.

Then it’s just a case of picking something that gets you in between that range with an 11sp cassette.

Edric64
    Free Member

Wheel x Chainring divided by sprocket = gear in inches

simondbarnes

whitestone
    Free Member

Here’s the Sheldon Brown calculator http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

thomthumb
    Free Member

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

26:36 rougly equals 30:42

njee20
    Free Member

Adding gear inches is an unnecessary complication unless you want to compare across bikes IMO.

Work out ratios of chainring:cassette sprocket, just divide one by the other. 36 is big, it’ll give you a bigger gear than you currently have and compromise at the other end. 32 or 34 would probably be a better bet.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Do you use 26:36t though. A 30t ring will give that ratio But your top gear will be alot lower. To keep your top gear ratio you will need a 33t ring (actualky a 32.7T ring but thats not possible). 32t is the comprimise. You must be a spinner though.

mcnultycop

Not so much with a 10t sprocket. Remember that’s basically 10% smaller than an 11t.

edward2000
    Free Member

Do you use 26:36t though

Yes, because I can and it gives me the opportunity to be lazy. I was thinking today that I might not miss this gear because it is very low.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Explain gear ratios to me’ is closed to new replies.