Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Explain 12×142 dt Swiss axles please
  • tinytimbo
    Free Member

My new frame uses a 12×142 axle however I can’t see how this will work.

My previous experiences of 12×142 are rock shox maxle which has an expanding wedge as you close the lever.

Another type of DT Swiss axle which had a a counter sunk head so fits in to frame perfectly when tightened up.

The new axle on my frame uses neither of these methods so I can’t see how it locks it to place on the non drive side of the frame. It appears there will always be a little play as the only think keeping inch it together is the side to side pressure as you screw up the lever.

Am I missing something, or is it just a poor design?

neallyman
    Free Member

I have one on my Bronson…it just screws in place within a thread in the frame. Has a neat spline function that allows you to pull the lever when tight and reposition wherever you want, ie tucked out the way rather than the arbitrary position at its tightest point. All works fine.

monkeyboyjc

Had one for two years on a canyon – prefer the dt swiss system to the maxel ive got on a whyte now. Just dont over tighten it (it doesnt need lots of force and you can snap the lever, leaving you with a wheel you cant undo).

tomhoward

What neallyman said, got one on my solo. Screws into the frame then you adjust the head accordingly. Simple. Works.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

I understand the threaded side will be tight but the non drive side will always be slightly loose as it doesn’t expand like a maxle. All the lever side of the axle does is push up against the frame.

I’ll see how it goes but may end up swapping for a maxle which to me is a better design.

neallyman
    Free Member

No, the splines keep it tight plus there is a spring to snap it back into the splines once positioned.

njee20
    Free Member

How can it not be tight? The two halves aren’t separate 😕

Think of it like a bolt – with a handle for convenience.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Think of it like a bolt – with a handle for convenience

Which is exactly what it is.

I think the OP is worrying about something that really isn’t an issue at all.

tomhoward

I think the OP is worrying about something that really isn’t an issue at all.

Nail. Head. You’ve created a problem that simply doesn’t exist.

tinytimbo
    Free Member

Ok, I think I get it lol.

I am so used to my old frame which is 12×150.
    With this old design the hub doesn’t sit in the dropouts like with 142, it just sits between the frame.

So if the axle doesn’t expand inside the frame you would get a slight amount of play.

Now obviously with the new standard 142 & 157 the hub sits perfectly in the dropout so as long as its pressed tight from the side there can be no movement.

Sorry I was a little late to this new standard.
    I do like how it takes all the faff out of locating your wheel in the frame.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have one on my cube stereo, had it for 3 years and it’s never come undone, if that’s what you’re worried about. screwing a bolt in hand tight and not expecting it to come loose does seem counter intuitive, but it does work, don’t know how. There’s probably more info on the Syntace website (X-12)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Explain 12×142 dt Swiss axles please’ is closed to new replies.