Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Expired sealant
  • ratherbeintobago

What should I do when the sealant in my tyres is life-expired and has stopped sealing? Keep topping it up (and adding weight), or un-mount the tyre and clean out the old stuff before putting new sealant in?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You’d be better popping a bead and cleaning the tyre out. The stuff can ball up and be a big lump sometimes, so it’s best to start again.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keep topping it up (and adding weight)

Sounds like weight is a concern 🙂 best empty it out before thew wheels get too heavy.

jamj1974

Was it dead when you bought it – or just sleeping OP?

ratherbeintobago

Was it dead when you bought it – or just sleeping OP?

Resting, but ever vigilant for holes in my tyre.

Sounds like weight is a concern best empty it out before thew wheels get too heavy.

Well, yes. Drilled Ti bolts all round for me 😛

You’d be better popping a bead and cleaning the tyre out. The stuff can ball up and be a big lump sometimes, so it’s best to start again.

Thanks – I did wonder whether it would ball up or just coat the inside of the casing. I shall need to get to work on my ghetto inflator – not sure my rims are true enough for the tyre to re-seat without a bit of ‘persuasion’.

mrelectric

So what’s best method to get the old dried stuff off? Just try to roll it into a ball or are there easier ways?

Sum
    Free Member

Usually I just peel, pick or scrape the stuff out. If it’s all dried up you may find a Stans Critter in there.

ratherbeintobago

Didn’t have a critter form in 18 months with the previous Fire XC Pros. There wasn’t one when I had my back wheel trued in the autumn; doesn’t mean there’s not one there now…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Expired sealant’ is closed to new replies.