Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Experts on helmets: are Bern helmets less safe than others? Is MIPS worth it?
  • mosschops
    Free Member

OK,

new hemet time for me

Mainly commuting in Laaardan with a bit of weekend off road riding

Liking the look of the new Bern Morrison – but not sure if the self acclaimed thinness of the helmet is really something thats all that safe? Given that its the deceleration and deforming by helmet that protects gainst brain injury

Also looking at Scott MIPS technology helmet – understand this is for rotational injury

So are Bern helmet just about as good as everything else?

Does MIPS really add a lot?

cheers

MC

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All helmets have to pass a CE test for safety do all have a minimum standard.

Buy one that fits your head, simple and first rule of helmets.

Just a question though is your real name Jeremy and do you own a tandem?

mosschops
    Free Member

NO tandem

I have dreadlocks

MC

nickjb
    Free Member

As above they should all pass the basic test. That said there was a test on TV the other day comparing a very cheap helmet to a posh one. They both passed but the cheap one performed much better at reducing impact forces as it was a big lump of polystyrene and the posh one had loads of ventilation.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

“Zipmold® hard foam meets ASTM F 2040, CPSC and EN 1078 standards for bike and skate”
    http://bernunlimited.com/shop/bike/morrison.html

I’ve got a Bern Watts as a commuter/ski helmet. It’s great *but* heavy and warm – I mountain bike in it if it’s really cold in Winter but no way would i ride it in summer. the morrison still looks heavy even if it’s better vented.

mosschops
    Free Member

thats reassuring

Will go with Bern I think

Looks nice..always an important safety consideration

N

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Experts on helmets: are Bern helmets less safe than others? Is MIPS worth it?’ is closed to new replies.