Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Expert armchair mechanics, am I being dull (Throttle body BOLTS!)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

Car – Honda HRV 2004
    Problem – Gunked up throttle plate body
    Solution – remove throttle body for full clean

(Excuse my ignorance and incorrect terminolgy…)[i]

I’m trying to remove the whole throttle body, it’s simple enough 4 bolts give it a whack take off clean, put back on…

I tried to take all 4 bolts off but could only extract 2 of them, the other two just the bolt NUT came off.

Like this…

On the throttle body I’m left with this…

The bolt nut does not seem to have cracked off, it came off very easily as in the thread on the bolt sticking out is fine and the thread on the nut?

So my question is how the **** do I get the bolt out?

What I dont get is the two bolts ive taken off don’t have a thread up to the head, but the two bolts left in do…? (if that makes sense!)

Again I’m probably doing something stupid here…

Thanks for any help!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

How do you know the 2 remaining bolts dont also have a plain shank if you havent got them out?

Do the bolts turn? If so just put the nuts back on a few turns and tap the ends with a mallet to knock em back.

stgeorge

It looks like a stud to me, not a bolt. IF all nuts/bolts undone the body should slip off the studs but is probably stuck on with gasket

monkey_boy
    Free Member

i found this on a honda forum, same as me but no solution..

honda

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers for replies, biscuit powered me being dull but dont get what you mean, how can i tap it out if theres a thread on the other end?

stgeorge are you saying it could be one of these..

lasty
    Free Member

Yes – its “one of them….”
    A stud.

Seriously – if you didn’t know that why are you even attempting this ??

finishthat
    Free Member

do you have a new gasket? are you sure about what you are doing –
    do not hit anything with a hammer – it could get expensive – those castings crack if you hit them wrong.

in summary – no replacement gasket – stop

monkey_boy
    Free Member

ah god im being dull aint i!

you two are correct… ( think)

there are two bolts which slide out and there are two studs which are part of the main body, so the throttle body slides off the two studs…

just need to break the seal oin the gasket..

stgeorge

stgeorge are you saying it could be one of these..

Yes, its done that way for ease of location when assembling.

Will it split at gasket now?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

yes i have a gasket… 😉

its sound like i dont know what im doing but i do when i get the damn thing off!

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all back out to get the fekin thing off…. all makes sense now.

jaysus i worry sometimes!

this forum is amazing! even the wife is shaking her head at me!

lasty
    Free Member

Bon-chance mon ami …

maxtorque

BTW, if it’s a Fly-By-Wire body, please try not to wreck the position sensors by filling them up with whatever cleaning fluid you are going to use……….

Also, if it is, and you clean a lot of gunk out, you might need to do a battery disconnect(or an OBD reset with a scan tool) to clear the current throttle idle adaption values from the engine ecu

bencooper
    Free Member

I cleaned mine out with just a rag and some GT85 – it idled a bit high for 5 minutes until the computer readjusted itself.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

voila…

took for test drive and its a little better, but the accelerator is still heavy and not much modulation, it’s either the throttle body spring has been changed as it seems stiff or the inner cable is shot. But i lubed the cable and disconnected it it was smooth.

cheers all

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Expert armchair mechanics, am I being dull (Throttle body BOLTS!)’ is closed to new replies.