Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Experiences with Wiggle? My brand new bike arived today…brake pulls to the bar
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

As per title really fellers.

I bought a Felt Redemption 2 from Wiggle last week. It arrived today and i crammed in a quick sneek peek before the wife puts it away for Christmas.

Everything checked out fine apart from the rear brake. It pulls to the bar in every setting apart from the ‘least lever pull setting’ then it stops literally 1`cm from the bar.

They are Avid Elixr ‘R’ Front is mint, but the rear is as above…not great!

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences?

I am really hoping they will send me a new brake or something. (When i return the one that’s on there). In past experiences with Avid, if they dont work when new you have no hope!

I am mailing them now and will see what they say but just wondered what you guys thought.

Cheers,

Jay

transporter13
    Free Member

burn it..its the only logical soloution 😀

Andyhilton
    Free Member

It’s one of the problems with buying online I suppose. I would suggest that you’ll just have to bleed it.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Transporter: I know what Avid are like, i came within inches of burning the last set i had!

Andy: I really don’t want to do that. I just shelled out for a brand new bike (for the 1st time ever) and there’s no way i am bleeding things straight out of the box. If they do suggest that they can have the lot back and i will get my cash back and go elsewhere!

I know its probably an easy fix but i really don’t think i should have to. I also don’t have an Avid bleed kit for one, and secondly as above with past experiences with Avid (Codes, Juicy 5+7 and carbon) they go down hill in performance rapidly when they need their first bleed…or get the dreaded non-lever return problem.

I guess i will see what they say.

Cheers guys

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Might just have been upside down/on it’s side too long. Try pumping the lever for a few minutes. I’ve had Hopes and Maguras which were very prone to this.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Peter: Tried all that mate, even took the caliper off and pumped the pistons out a tad just to see if they had just been pushed in too far. No joy there’s definately fluid missing or air in there!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just bleed it. Brakes should be bled thu every year anyway as preventive maintenance

thomthumb
    Free Member

I know its probably an easy fix but i really don’t think i should have to.

you don’t have to. wiggle do, or pay someone else to do it for you.

i have had excellent customer service from wiggle on several occasions. i have no doubt they will sort it for you.

you have emailed them?

trail_rat
    Free Member

customer expects shop service at online prices … just think no hassle had it happened when you picked it up from the shop 😉

normal protocol when i last bought a mail order bike (last of a model in the uk) arrived with a duff brake and they paid for a shop to do the repair – less hassle than removing the brake and sending it back im sure !

legend
    Free Member

phone > email whenever venting/demanding is necessary

coatesy
    Free Member

Will probably just require bleeding, par for the course with Avids, to the point that every Avid equipped bike we build won’t leave the workshop without it being done.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

“Tandam Jeremy: Just bleed it. Brakes should be bled thu every year anyway as preventive maintenance”

Its brand bloody new not a year old! I am happy for Wiggle to bleed it, but i can pretty confidently say there are no shops around here that i would trust to change a tyre let alone bleed brakes. I always do it myself, but dont have the bleed kit anymore!

Coatesy: Exactly, Wiggle should have done it IMHO before sending it out.

TrailRat: I don’t expect any more or less from an online retailer than a LBS. You pay your money and you expect a good product/service regardless of where its from.

It shouldn’t matter. And if my LBS had bikes at 50% off then maybe i would consider it. But they don’t the fact is they still have frames from years ago at top dollar!

Thanks for the input guys

br
    Free Member

I’d just get the wife (or whoever ordered it) to ring Wiggle and explain the issue, let them suggest a solution. At this point either say thank you, or lose rag.

Anyway, whatever happens IME you’ll need a bleed kit anyway with Avids.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Can’t ring wiggle generally – open a support email with them and see what they say – can’t do much more than that but can I suggest a polite email to start of with? You’ll get further than an arsey one IME 😉

jools182
    Free Member

Just contact wiggle, customer service is great

pdw
    Free Member

I had a new road bike from Wiggle a month or so ago, no problems at all. On the few occasions that I have had problems with stuff from Wiggle they’ve sorted it very promptly and with no quibbling at all, including refunding postage on returned faulty items. I do find that for best results you need email them, rather than posting on an internet forum 😉

In the extremely unlikely event that they don’t just sort this out, then assuming your bike qualifies for their 30 day test ride, you can just say you don’t want it and they’ll pick it up at their expense and refund:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/30testride

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

I’d love to know what your expectations from this are.

Wiggle may offer to pay for a bleed from your LBS but you wont use them.

The cost of sending back the whole bike is prohibitive and time consuming.

Someone from wiggle isn’t gonna turn up at your house with a pack of biscuits and some tools.

I’d just bleed it and sit there in the knowledge that you’ve still got a bargain from a mail order shop. You could have bled it by now……

(and dont go on about ‘rights’ and ‘legally my position is’ etc etc )

Be pragmatic, bleed it, forget about it , ride it and only ever use your LBS going forward. They’re my thoughts.

Northwind

See if Wiggle will give you a bleed kit? Perfect result, you can fix it yourself which is far easier than any of the alternatives and you’ll have the kit for the future.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I don’t have a freakin’ avid bleed kit! This is essential for the job!

What I want wiggle to do is allow me to return the faulty brake for repair or even better send me a replacement.

Are peoples expectations of customer service really this low?

It’s crazy to me that you buy something then have to spend your own time sorting it out brand new out of the box. Irrelevant if it’s a 200quid bike or a 4.5k bike.

I was asking about peoples experiences with Wiggle, not analysis of what I hope to get out of it. I think that’s obvious…a brake that works.

But if they do offer the tea and biscuit service I will be requesting choco job nobs thanks

EDIT: the bleed kit would be good. We’ll see.

scaredypants

Margin Walker – what’s this crap ?! you and your fancy “common sense and reason” can bugger off back whence you came

now, is this a pitchfork moment yet ?

dyls

Assuming it is the bleeding that needs to be done? I also bought a bike online earlier this year (not wiggle) and had a problem with one of the brakes which required a new olive and insert and a re bleed. For a while I thought it was a problem with the seals on the lever. It was too much hassle to send it back so I did it myself but I wasn’t too happy neither.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Oh and I have mailed wiggle. I have been polite a I have no problem as yet. I will just wait and see. The idea of the thread was to see how other people found their support service. Not at all to bad mouth or moan about them. Accidents/mistakes happen, its how they are dealt with that matters!

sslowpace
    Free Member

Shirly (don’t call me sh…. etc) as the bike has to have a PDI before being sent out (legal requirement? Dunno..), they will be very helpful.
    After all, if the duff brake resulted in an injury..
    As mentioned, email them and get sorted one way or another. They have always been great on the odd occasion i have needed to contact them.

Off to find my combine harvester…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I had similar with a bike from wheelies – they offered me a bleed kit.

schmiken

I’d talk to Wiggle before slagging them off first on an internet forum that they probably read….. 😉

Northwind

YETIboyJAY – Member

“I don’t have a freakin’ avid bleed kit! This is essential for the job!

What I want wiggle to do is allow me to return the faulty brake for repair or even better send me a replacement.”

OK, but as an Avid owner, you need the bleed kit, either that or you need a very accomodating LBS as sooner or later, your brakes will need bled the night before a ride.

Your brake is probably not faulty, expecting a replacement is daft unless there’s an actual fault. If your tyres were flat would you send those back? It’s also not neccesarily an “accident/mistake” as you say, Wiggle can’t control how it arrives with you, just how it leaves them so if the bike’s been upside down in a van and had even a tiny bit of air in the reservoir, that’s all it takes.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

^^^ can you read? There was no ‘slagging’ from me read my posts. As I stated above the point in the thread was to enquire about other peoples experiences and what had been done for them.

I have no problem with wiggle, mistakes occur. It’s how they are dealt with that matters.

Thanks for the not so informed comment.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ve always found Wiggle excellent. I’ve only had to contact customer service once over a product that was a bit faulty and they were spot on in their response. They refunded my money with no quibble.

In my experience all of the online retailers I’ve dealt with have been excellent as long as you are polite with them.

Northwind

YETIboyJAY – Member

“I have no problem with wiggle, mistakes occur.”

I’ll say it again, you have no reason to assume they’ve made a mistake, at all.

foxyrider
    Free Member

YETIboyJAY – hey hey – I didn’t suggest you were going to send a arsey email I just suggested you didn’t. I have read a lot of experiences on here where people go in with their size nines and get no where. Wiggle have good CS (apart from waiting an eternity for topcashback to come back) and I have no fault with them. Hope you get it sorted 🙂

sc-xc

[quoteI have read a lot of experiences on here where people go in with their size nines[/quote]

My only experience of Wiggle’s customer service was last year, I bought a pair of shoes. Paid the extra to get them delivered priority as I was going on holiday. The shoes came, and they were sized really small (pearl izumis – I don’t know if this is a commonly known thing)

I emailed – straight away, someone came back to me, sorted it out by getting his size 9 footed colleague to try on a few pairs, found the right size, and sent them to me before I went on holiday (and before I returned the original pair)

As said above, they are brilliant at sorting out these kind of problems, and I would always choose them over CRC/Merlin etc. Hope it works out for you though.

iainc

I always do it myself, but dont have the bleed kit anymore!

but surely you need one seeing as

there are no shops around here that i would trust to change a tyre let alone bleed brakes

I’d agree with the idea of contacting them, explaining the problem, suggesting they arrange to pick up brake, bleed and return….or send you a new one

all that said, it’s not uncommon for brakes from online shops to need a bleed – had this with XT’s from Ribble a few months ago and it seems many others did to. Whether a brake that needs bled can be classed as faulty is a strange one though – I’d say maintenance, although it shoudl have been inspected if supplied fitted to a bike.

If tehy send you a replacement that hasn’t been on a bike there is a good chance it will need bled 😆

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Northwind… So they meant to send me a brake that didn’t work? Because if they didn’t then it IS a mistake no?

Anyway, those of you that have commented with useful info thanks very much. It silounds like it will all get sorted with ease.

Cheers fellers

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Iainc: I don’t have a bleed kit anymore as I have been out of the sport for a while (riding MX bikes). With this being my first bike in a while I planned to buy the kit when they needed bleeding…not thinking I would need it as soon as my brand new purchase had arrived!

I will order one up soon though.

Cheers

mieszko
    Free Member

On two occasions I had to deal with wiggle they were brilliant. You actually get a reply not like with CRC. I bought some goodridge brake hose set for my Martas and one set arrived complete, one was just a hose without the ends, quick email, they sent me a complete set with ends but in white, told me to keep the other one. All within a week.

My Niterider light packed up month before the warranty run out, also sorted within two weeks as they had to wait for replacements. I did not have the box etc, just sent back what I had and got back a new boxed light.

Comparing that to CRC: recently got an email regarding a refund for some rotors my GF’s brother sent back as they were not the ones he ordered. All is good apart from the fact he sent them back so long ago (May or June) that I completely forgot about it. Also CRC sometimes will not bother to reply to Your emails whereas with Wiggle I always got a reply within a reasonable amount of time.

Based on my experience I think Wiggle will sort You out fine, especially if You did not throw abuse at them in the first email. 🙂

Northwind

YETIboyJAY – Member

“Northwind… So they meant to send me a brake that didn’t work? Because if they didn’t then it IS a mistake no?”

Not being funny but are you reading these posts? They may have sent you a brake that worked, which in transit became a brake that doesn’t. There’s no reason to assume there was anything wrong at all when it left them.

Nibsy
    Free Member

It’s just typical Avid discs, mine can be perfectly bled, then I stand it upright or turn it over to fix a puncture and that’s it require bleeding again, had Hope discs for years and never any problems.

coatesy
    Free Member

If they require bleeding after being upside down, you’ve probably left air trapped under the diaphragm, flipping the lever upside down when you think you’ve finished will release it so it can be sucked out.

DezB
    Free Member

I guess you should’ve asked the question more concisely!
    The answer seems to be none of us know what Wiggle will offer.
    Do tell when they answer your email.

I had an online bike shop send me completely the wrong bike and surprisingly I didn’t have to go round and source all the right parts myself, as people seem to be suggesting you would have to do. The shop picked up the wrong one and sent the right one.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

wiggle are brilliant – simply contact them via email and they will sort you out – 100% guarenteed!

no need to start a thread like this IMO, EMAIL them first, if they turn arsey then at least vent your anger, not before they have even had chance to sort it (Which they will!)

like somebody stated above, its probably happened in transport to be honest, being on its side/upside down etc…..not much they can do about that….

THEY WILL SORT YOU OUT THOUGH!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Experiences with Wiggle? My brand new bike arived today…brake pulls to the bar’ is closed to new replies.