Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Experiences on running tubeless
  • ron70
    Free Member

Thinking about going tubeless, I have the rims for it, got rubber queen ust tyres, Whats the best technique for doing this and is it worth it? All info appreciated.

stevied
    Free Member

I did it. Stans Flow rims, Maxxis non-UST tyres. Worked a treat, went up easily and only loose a couple of PSI a week (at most). Have gained slightly lighter wheels and much more grip. Wish I’d done it years ago…

What rims have you got?

carlphillips
    Free Member

loads of info on here, do a search for ‘tubeless’
    it is worth it.
    1 puncture in the last 2 years vs at least 1 every other week with tubes.

i wouldnt go back to tubes now.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just worked out that I first went tubeless a little over 10 years ago.

Its great, when done ‘properly’.

you have the correct rims and tyres to do it ‘properly’ so inflate and enjoy!

Dickyboy

got some proper tubeless wheels & tubeless ready nobby nicks earlier this year – great for puncture reduction & if you want to run low pressures without the risk of pinch punctures, not so great when you get a wee gash in the tyre though 🙁 – probably pretty unlucky for my second ride on them I guess

Rorschach
    Free Member

8 years in.
    Sometimes it’s easy,sometimes it’s a pita.
    I’m still tubeless after 8 years…it must be o.k (for me).

mindmap3
    Free Member

I finally went tubeless this year and found it pretty painless to set up…Easton Havocs with Hans Dampfs.

My bike feels loads lighter, I’m running even lower pressures than I did and am generally a very happy boy.

I found that putting a tube in first worked best for me, that way one side was seated properly. After removing it, the other side seated fine with a track pump.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

– Put 2 scoops of Stans in for larger volume tyres. If you’re stingy with the fluid like I was then you’re going to have a bad time.
    – Get a compressor if you can afford it and you’re having a hard time getting them to seal. Saves a lot of wasted effort. This way you can test if a tyre will go up tubeless before you add the fluid and make a mess without too much hassle.

Anyway, Hans Dampfs on Flow EX rims, Nobby Nics on Crests and Roval Controls. Would never go back to tubes. Still getting my head round how low you can run the tyres with tubeless 18 months on.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Yup, all is good. Been tubeless for over 3 years now and only had one issue where a tyre wouldn’t re-seal, but then again ripping a 5p sized hole in the tread of a tyre is pretty terminal regardless.

As above, use more fluid the bigger the tyre.

I use Stans rims and specialized tyres and they go up easily with a track pump, as do schwalbes.

sandwicheater

Went tubeless on the weekend. Couple of youtube vids and no problems, very easy really.

creamegg
    Free Member

Been tubeless over a year now and not had a puncture since. I’d never go back to tubes. Wish I’d gave converted sooner.

I used stand conversion kit and used the coke bottle ghetto inflator. Was very easy and no faff at all. Your combination if rims and tyres might be different tho.

earl_brutus

Went tubeless last year and wow what a difference, needless to say no punctures and I always got puncture. XTR 988 wheels with Maxxis Advantage 2.1s and bontrager superjuice

allmountainventure
    Free Member

I have found it a right pita and no real world difference to running a descent tube with stans or slime. The main advantage which allegedly is running lower pressures resulted in dented rimss, ruined tires or unsealed tyres. I tried all different methods and now for less faf Im using a DH tube at the back and regular front with with slime. i get less flats and hassle that way. For xc it works alright and my hardtail is still tubeless but for tougher conditions the advantages fall away.
    IMO

edit; I also found tubless a bit dull, running tubes there is a nicer rebound feeling through the tires.. Again, just IMO

honourablegeorge

There’s a video on the Notubes.com site on how to do it – you’ll need, valves, yellow tape and fluid. With UST tyres it should be really easy

djbmtb
    Free Member

4 years running tubeless now. Shimano XT wheels and now stans rims, never had a major issues with getting tyres to inflate following the notubes video. Only had one puncture that didn’t seal and that was when I got a 1 inch slice in the tyre side wall.

timnwild

I’m just about to do the same – ZTR Flow Ex 26″ rims, but I’m wondering about tyre choice, like always. Tempted on the Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35s.

Anyone running the same?

ta

mrben100
    Free Member

American classic all mountain tubeless wheels + schawlbe UST racing ralphs, no sealant.

First ever tubeless ride, brilliant easy to put on etc, inflate with track pump.

1mile from home 5mm rip in the front tyre – going to have to get some repair patches.

Just unlucky I guess.

ocrider

My experience is that if you have the appropriate rims and tubeless ready tyres, do it.
    You will never look back.

d45yth
    Free Member

Tempted on the Maxxis High Roller LUST 2.35s.

Anyone running the same?
    I use one on the rear and a Minion 2.35 on the front (non-tubeless tyre, setup tubeless). I’ve had the least trouble with these out of every brand I’ve tried.

rootes1

not had much luck with caffe latex… it seems unable to seal a hole of any size..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Experiences on running tubeless’ is closed to new replies.