Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Expensive Sunglasses worth the money?
  • mmannerr

My prescription Oakleys are easily best quality lenses I have ever had. I think they are 8 years old now and still in very good condition despite being used as much as possible for riding, skiing and driving. I have had few other glasses in the meantime and couple of riding glasses too but none have lasted as well as these.
    Of course this does not tell much about current Oakley quality, the company has been sold to investors I think?

fatmax

I like Oakley glasses, and think they’re good quality.
    Better quality than other stuff? I don’t know.
    Good value for money? Probably not.
    But twice I have broken the frames (my fault i.e. big snowboarding crash) and have sent their customer service team a grovelling note saying ‘I love your glasses, wouldn’t use anything else, could you please fix / replace them and let me know what I owe you’?
    Twice they have replaced them free of charge and I got a nice note back saying ‘glad you like our kit’. Both times I didn’t have proof of purchase (one set bought in Singapore by my folks, another time I was in the States and they had been bought in the UK). I thought that was pretty fantastic customer service.
    Will I buy more in due course? Yip, absolutely.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the way i lose them no..

lunge

I like Oakley glasses, and think they’re good quality.
    Better quality than other stuff? I don’t know.
    Good value for money? Probably not.

This. I can, and do have some cheaper ones. But, I don’t think they look good, they fit well and I can afford them, that’s it really.

tinybits
    Free Member

I tend to only buy high quality glasses, and ‘often’ ots Oakley. I don’t tend to loose them, and rarely sit on them. I still have a pair of C wires from about 2001, my (actually, I have no idea what they are called – I just like them!) driving ones that live in the sun visor, a pair for mountain biking in and a pair for shooting (Radars) that I mask off my left eye due to an eye dominace issue that means I struggle clay shooting.
    Every time I try something else, the lens simply isn’t as good. I get headaches after a few hours and the fit just doesn’t seem to be as good. I was given a pair of Maui Jims (spelling?) which are supposed to be very good. They just don’t fit my face.
    So for me? Yes, they are worth it.

Oh, forgot, I left my sunnies in my car when I went on holiday 3 weeks ago so had to but another pair at the airport – that’s 2 identical pairs of glasses. At my rate, that’s 20 years of wearing!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I picked up a nice pair of Gul polarized ones on holiday as I didn’t want to wreck my Animal Wayfarer style ones on the beach / in the sea with the kids and kayaking, I’ve also got a pair of Oakley Gas Cans that are about 7 years old.

The Gul glasses are excellent, really clear lenses and really comfortable. For changeable days on the bike I’ve got a set of those Endura 20-80% light reactive ones and they’re superb.

Can’t see the point of spending £100’s myself.

stuey
    Free Member

With companies like Luxottica having a monopoly on manufacture – I guess we will never know the true cost of glasses.

If Oakley provide luxury service Fatmax decribes – I guess people will keep paying for them.

binners

if you spend more on a pair you tend to look after them better and not lose them.

Given what a clumsy ****-wit I am, I’m reluctant to spend a shedload of money to disprove this theory. But disprove it I most certainly would 😀

eshershore
    Free Member

Oakley’s here – a number of different pairs.

well worth the premium price. optical quality noticeably better than competitors

excellent customer service if needed.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Twice they have replaced them free of charge and I got a nice note back saying ‘glad you like our kit’. Both times I didn’t have proof of purchase (one set bought in Singapore by my folks, another time I was in the States and they had been bought in the UK). I thought that was pretty fantastic customer service.

The cynic in me thinks they can afford to do that due to the amount they make on every pair. I know they don’t have to of course, so it’s nice that they do, but still….

I’ve switched to Breo Sunglasses. Used to be an Oakley can boy. These changed my mind comfy and the lenses are ace. 2 pairs for £27 too

Interesting. Some half decent frames on there. Might be worth a punt once the ones I am after coming back in stock.

fatmax

bongohoohaa – I’m sure you’re right. I reckon the frames would be the cheap bits and the frames are the expensive part of what you’re buying.
    But it’s rare to get service that good…only bettered by Planet X and Dave Hinde I reckon! 😉

dirtydog
    Free Member

No, Aldi’s own were as optically precise as my Oakleys.

ElShalimo

Erm… oh do tell me more about the Breo glasses

binners

On the customer service thing: I had a set of Bloc Shifters – the ones you could change the lenses on. Not the cheapest but nowhere near Oakley Money. Excellent quality kit

I managed to snap the frames (because I’m a clumsy ****-wit), got in touch with them, and they sent me an apology and their re-designed beefier frames (apparently it had been a problem on that model). Can’t really argue with that

aracer
    Free Member

Gosh, we’re not all made of money like you. I’m currently using £5 Bolle safety glasses, and TBH they’re just as good as £50 branded* sunnies I’ve had before (I’ve tried but never owned Oakleys and not convinced there’s a significant difference in the quality). So impressed I bought a second pair for when I lose the first, but haven’t yet, thus disproving the theory about not looking after cheap ones 😉 , but it does mean I now have one set I can keep in the car. Oh and a non cycling mate was so impressed with the appearance he wanted to know what they were and where I got them (he didn’t know they were cheap, though he knows I’m a skinflint!)

* branded being a relative thing – I remember when Bolle were one of the trendiest brands for glasses, when Greg Lemond was wearing them. I owned an expensive pair of them back then and there appears to be little or no difference in the quality compared to those they sold for 10 times the price.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Try Maui Jim’s for real,optical quality.

Stunningly good.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I remember when Bolle were one of the trendiest brands for glasses, when Greg Lemond was wearing them.

I know he briefly wore Bolle Attacks (?), but he was certainly far better known for wearing Oakley! Original Eyeshades circa 1984, and onwards to Mumbos etc.

sprootlet
    Free Member

Will let you know about the legendary Oakley customer service after I ring them, I have an old (about 8+ yrs old) pair which are now discontinued and the lens is cracking (bit like a car windscreen). Not a scratch on them, just the crack so we’ll see what/if Oakley suggest….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Still had my original mumbos until my last house move. They went missing.

🙁

Still with the original box, bag and paperwork. And about 15 years use.

Still have another 5 or 6 pairs though.
    Last time i used my own money to buy new glasses Oakley still made everyone what look second rate. Things may have moved on in the last 10 or so years…..

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Expensive Sunglasses worth the money?’ is closed to new replies.