Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Expensive losses
  • Merak

Managed to lose a pair of Backbeat Fit earphones today. I had spent all day in the saddle and I was dog tired.

I took them off and rested them round my neck, fatal.

Realised they were gone 10 mins later. Someone got themselves £90 quids worth of free headphones due to my stupidity.

aP
    Free Member

Nope. About 400 cars will run over them and at some point they’ll get swept up and land filled. Doesn’t make it better for you, but I don’t think that you can suggest that some else is going to benefit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wife “misfiled” a recent share certificate. £128 for a replacement. For one bloody sheet of paper that, if left on the table with the rest of the post, would have been fine. But no, it needed to be “tidied” away!

FFS!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

my wallet last week….

real shitty time of year to organise new cards and driving licence. oh, plus the 200€ in there at the time…

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Look on the bright side…it’s gone down by €150 since you last mentioned it.

aracer
    Free Member

Not a loss as such, but dropped my phone off the roof when up there fixing the TV aerial on Saturday. I do at least get my phones s/h and only paid £80 for it – and TBH there were a couple of niggles with it, the replacement I got for £85 (was very lucky to find exactly what I was looking for in very good nick in a shop in town) appears not to have those issues, so in a way I’ve gained out of it.

welshfarmer

Was working under the front of the T5 the other day on ramps. Reversed off and felt a clunk and judder. Remembered then I had also placed some axle stands under the sub-frame to be extra safe. Got out to check where they had ended up to be confronted with a rapidly growing pool of engine oil. Answered that question …. one of them had gone straight through the aluminium sump! So a new sump (£130), 7 litres of oil (£35) and half a days work to put it back to good. The irony was I had it on ramps as I was mocking up a guard to go on it to protect the sump 🙄 😕

Cougar

A mate of mine has lost a hard disk with a bitcoin wallet on it from the early days of mining. Loose approximation, it’s worth about a hundred grand.

welshfarmer

So 200 grand last month then 🙂

sbob
    Free Member

Moved house after three years, and the whole time I had some clothes in bags under the spare bed.
    Haven’t needed them in three years? Into the charity bin.
    Then I wanted my £360 Berghaus winter coat.
    Whoops! 😀

dannybgoode

I seem to have lost my 1970’s Omega Chronostop in the house move.

Last year I lost a very expensive light meter and some not so expensive pocket binoculars out on the moors.

Still hopeful the Omega will turn up. Tried to retrace my steps for the light meter but was off piste in chest high reeds so had no chance.

jimmy

Oakleys. Lost enough posies that I just stopped buying them.

rone

Dropped my 500 quid shatterproof phone in the hot tub.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m not sure I’d get over much of the above. I’m still sulking about the brand new winter gloves I left in a hire van last year. Never wore them on my bike once. Heartbreaking.

matt_outandabout

Owning a property renovation / sell on business in 2008, with all money invested in three houses on the same street….

🙁

wishiwascalledsteve

Placed my helmet, Oakley’s and gloves on top of a wall after a ride, while loading the car. Forgot to pick them up before driving off.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I lost my ability to stay logged in on STW.

I win.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Left a garmin 800 on the roof of my car before having another argument with virgin mobile. Forgot about it until after I’d driven 60 miles home.

I’d bought it 5 months earlier for £350.

twistedpencil

Early Rider balance bike left at my local track after a bmx race. Probably worth nowt as three kids had learned to ride on it and the handlebars needed replacing again, but sentimental value through the roof. Was just about to be retired and cleaned up for mounting on the wall at home…

Lots of tears when we realised it was gone. However it’s just a lump of wood, glue and rubber that’s gone, still got the evidence of how great it was when each kid rides a bike 🙂

Bregante

My parents owned a pub when I was growing up. We lived on site had been targeted by burglars a few times so my dad took to hiding the takings around the house. After one bank holiday weekend my mum threw a stack of newspapers out because the paper rack was overflowing. Unbeknown to her my dad had hidden several thousand pounds amongst it (over 40 years ago – a bloody fortune).

My dad actually went off in search of the bin wagon and successfully recovered the money.

CHB

We had a near miss this week when my sons Citizen Red Arrows watch ended up in the washing machine while we were sorting out his post Uni washing! Thankfully it was on a short delicate wool cycle!

Merak

aP – Member
    Nope. About 400 cars will run over them and at some point they’ll get swept up and land filled. Doesn’t make it better for you, but I don’t think that you can suggest that some else is going to benefit.

I took them off as I passed through the last village on my ride, busy with lots of boxing day walkers. The headphones are bright blue and would have been spotted. I know because I’m Scottish and miserable. I went back to retrace my tracks in the vain hope of finding them.

My loss pales into insignificance when compared to some of the stories above though.

wiggles
    Free Member

Managed to lose an iPod with 40gb of music on it (not backed up anywhere else)

Worst part was I lost it without leaving the house, was convinced it would turn up when I moved out as must of been somewhere but it never did. Strangely the same thing happened to some car keys in the same house…

Houns

£3k engagement ring

MSP

I have lost a set of keys from a small sadlebag while out cycling.

Had to force the door when I got home, can’t remember how much the joiner charged to repair the frame but it was over a hundred. And it was 200 plus to get a new car key and have it coded for the car.

hot_fiat

+1 for oakleys. Had one pair for all of an hour. Bought them in a bike shop in whistler took gondola to top of mountain, went to cafe for lunch and noticed they’d vanished.

Lost an IPhone SE from the handlebar mount on my KTM once. Felt something bounce off my knee, looked down and noticed the phone was not there. Would have stopped had I not been in lane 3 of the m6.

IHN

A pair of £400 glasses that came off my head when I came off on black ice last week. Didn’t immediately realise they’d come off (eyesight not that bad, a bit shook up), when I did and went back for them they’d been run over…

And, a probable impending loss; two unrefundable return flights to Belize in June and a hotel stopover stay in Miami, thanks to an old dog that’s too infirm and senile to be anywhere else other than at home. The only way we’re going is if he dies in the next six months…

jekkyl

Aged 16 first trip to London with my mate Paul to see the Freddie Mercury tribute at the old Wembley. Got there early and got a standing place about 10 people from the front. Took loads of pictures at the gig and our weekend around London. Left the camera on the bus..

bensales
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    A mate of mine has lost a hard disk with a bitcoin wallet on it from the early days of mining. Loose approximation, it’s worth about a hundred grand.

Yup. I mined a couple way back when it was actually easy to. Decided there was little point in it and it went as part of a machine re-install.

Other than that, I’ve managed to part-ex two cars leaving prescription Oakley sunnies in the roof sunglasses holder. You think I’d learn after the first one.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

As opposed to Ben above … I thought at some point they would go but …

lost a hard disk with a bitcoin wallet on it from the early days of mining. Loose approximation, it’s worth about a hundred grand

Knowing myself, I would have done this and that’s one of the reasons why I didn’t buy a grands worth 4 years ago.

Well, thats what Im telling myself … makes it a little better. 🙄

thepurist

Pair of Oakley M Frames when I was driving an almost empty RIB back up the sound of mull, I’d popped them up onto my forehead then we got a bit of flat water so I went for a speed test and the Oakleys went for a swim.

c_klein87

left my lovely alpkit sleeping bag, at a house somewhere, annoying thing is previously i carted it round for 3months whilst i was touring and never lost it then!!

CountZero

Lost all sorts of stuff over the years, some of it turned up, some didn’t, like the lovely Spyderco Lava pocket knife I got from a knife collector in South Africa, after it had been discontinued. Went for a walk in West Woods and lost it out of my pocket. I even went back and retraced my route, because I’d recorded the track on ViewRanger, but it had obviously disappeared into the dead leaves somewhere.
    Also left a zip case with my spare iPhone 5, an Anker powerpack a Gerber multitool my mum had given me for Christmas some years back, about £90-worth, and a bunch of different USB cables, in a car I’d picked up and delivered,
    I was most upset about the Gerber, tried Find My iPhone, it showed up briefly a couple of times around London, but despite putting ‘contact me’ messages on it, nobody ever did. I bricked it and wiped it anyway, but I wanted the Gerber back. 😥

giantalkali
    Free Member

Remember the eclipse that was in 1999 or sometime around then? I took a load of photos of the image via a pinhole, focussed on a sheet of white paper with my ‘thumbs up’ next to it.

As it was dark my camera auto-flash was on. Got them developed, it looked like I just really liked A4.

In a field.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Half a Lara Croft. Bottom half. House move. Still have no idea how. She looks kinda silly now.

Rorschach
    Free Member

My will to live was priceless.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mrs CFH binned a boxful of AP fripperies while packing for our honeymoon.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

My bosses Leica – left it in a black cab. The cabbie handed it in – bless him. About £10k with lens…….

cardo

Lol at Giantalkali that tickled me..

Another Oakley loss after leaving them on the roof of the car in their case and driving off.. and a Marlboro Zippo that was one of only a few that just simply disappeared somewhere…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Houns – Member
    £3k engagement ring

Think of that as a tax on stupidity. Hope you’ve learned your lesson 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Expensive losses’ is closed to new replies.