Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Expensive lights
  • jam-bo

How are companies selling light systems for hundreds of pounds still in business?

trail_rat
    Free Member

how are companys selling lights that fall apart if you look at them wrong still in business ?

Alex

Well I just sent my Lumi XPG-3 back after two years hard use with a minor fault. Fixed and shipped back same day at no charge. I must ride with lights for 9 months of the year, so having a quality product backed up by ace afterservice represents good value to me.

YMMV etc 😉

jam-bo

how are companys selling lights that fall apart if you look at them wrong still in business ?

cheap ones or expensive ones?

trail_rat
    Free Member

dunno really had experiances both sides of the fence (and on both sides of the till) until i moved to exposure (joysitck and maxx D ) 3 years ago.

3 years hard use – commuting, racing 24 hours , night riding and they still work like new.

So much so im going to get my mrs a new joystick despite the cost – even though other”torches” are availible.

dantsw13

Citroen and Rolls Royce still coexist in the car trade. Nuff said.

Northwind

trail_rat – Member

What, Hope?

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha their vision 1s are not very good at staying attached to the weedy bracket

but it was more lupines that had a high attrition rate.

one year our club was supported by zyro for a certain 24 hour race. and thus had a team full of lupines

EVERY SINGLE SET WE HAD FAILED IN ONE RACE ! by the end of it we were all back on our own lighting – IIRC we had a team of 4 a pair and a few solos in the race.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

People like to feel good by spending ten times the amount on something only twice as good. Nothing at all wrong with that though, as long as you don’t resort to bullshit to justify it. 🙂

br
    Free Member

Must be Lupine as I can afford Exposure, so they’re not expensive 😉

I’ve cheap lights and dear lights, they all work well but the dear ones are just nicer to mount/use/charge etc.

wwaswas

Love my Lupine Betty light 🙂

And the Piko I run as a helmet light.

Both were reduced(Betty half price) and not had any issues.

It’s my money and I like tarty bike kit, why not?

tenfoot

I have a 502b torch as a helmet light. On my second in 9 months

I also have a maxx d that I bought half price from a mate that never puts a foot wrong, gets used twice a week and has as good run time as the day I got it.

Sure, the maxx d was expensive new but it feels bombproof.

jam-bo

five years ago, if you wanted a decent output then you paid big money. I can’t rememeber exactly how much I paid for my L&M Arc but it made me wince at the time.

now?
    DX etc are cheap as chips but unreliable and effectively throwaway lights

lumenator etc giving the output but with backup/warranty.

If I was a product manager at exposure or lupine etc, I’d be shitting myself….

prezet
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Hope lights, Vision 4 on the front and District+ on the rear, all running from just the one battery – worth every penny.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Because the DX ones are poor quality, flimsy, the batteries aren’t very neat, the chargers catch fire, the lumens are much lower than claimed and the beam spreads aren’t great.

I paid £120 for my last light and it’s actually good. The £30 DX ones are just a bit crap- we sold them as something else where I used to work and EVERY one came back. Every one.

I’d use one as a back up light and there are some cheap chinese lights that are OK, some even good, but the ones you see most are crap. While I think above about £250 is madness, below £100 does’t get you a quality product.

trout
    Free Member

if I was a worker at exposure or lupine ans most other light manufacturers I would also be a tad worried
    But are they manufacturers or just resellers of chinese lights that have come back and bitten them on the arse

Northwind

Nonsense- the MJ-872 is a great little light and comes in well under £100.

bol

I’ve not had a single problem with my Exposure Max D in nearly four years’ very regular use. Nor with my DX head torch in about 3 years. What they have in common is that they’re both all in one. If you could get a really good, cheap, all in one light with quick easy mounting to multiple bikes, then I’d be lining up for one. As it is, Exposure are about to get my money again, and I guess they probably will in another four years too.

jam-bo

what made me think about it was reading about a couple of new lights that are adding in features like speed sensitive output. it struck me as an act of desperation…

jimjam
    Free Member

How the hell are brands that make expensive mountain bikes still in business? I can get a double expension mountainbike from Decathlon for £300.

If I worked at Santa Cruz, Turner or Ibis I’d be sh*tting myself.

grtdkad

Love my Troute Liberator. Planning my Spring 2013 purchase.

Most of my riding is at night so happy to pay a little bit more for the quality and performance … and used last week to illuminate WWII tunnels under Dover cliffs.

Northwind

jimjam – Member

How the hell are brands that make expensive mountain bikes still in business? I can get a double expension mountainbike from Decathlon for £300.

If you could go to Decathlon and get a bike for £300 that performs the same or better than many expensive bikes, this’d be a great analogy. You seem to be a bit behind the times though, it’s been a while since the chinese lights were just a low-quality, cheap option.

There’s still expensive lights that do offer a genuine advantage though but an awful lot don’t.

chiefgrooveguru

I have a cheap bar light and an expensive helmet light. The bar light has let me down quite a few times by failing to charge (dodgy connection I think). The expensive light just works. I can’t afford an expensive bar light but I wish I could.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Define expensive. Some people ‘are considerably richer that yaou…’

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I paid about £250 for my Ay-Ups 4 years ago and they have been going great since. Last winter I sent them back for upgrade and for £90 had brand new lamps. I totaled some battery cables in a crash but got them replaced at cost.

If I wanted a go I might try some of the cheap ones. However I am impressed by my setup and would buy again. It’s not a disposable product.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Having done both sides its great that cheap lights are around to get people in to night riding (like me in first place) but once you’ve had the quality of say exposure then I wouldn’t go back. Certainly wouldn’t want to rely on dx lights for a 24 for example but why not for a quick blast around the woods once a week which is most people’s bag anyhow

trail_rat
    Free Member

“what made me think about it was reading about a couple of new lights that are adding in features like speed sensitive output. it struck me as an act of desperation… “

or innovation…….It might not be a great idea but for every 10 great idea they come up with a crap one may slip through the net

I really like the look of their 800 lumen hub dynamo light system – now thats a good idea!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well my mates are on their third winter season on their 1000lumen cheapo Chinese lights off eBay. They’re not used for commuting but night MTB rides, so get shook around a lot, rained on and covered in mud, so are not having an easy time of it. I’ve just ordered some of the same but 1800 lumens. Great build quality and if anything like my mates, they will provide many years of reliable service. And if they break, I’ll just buy another set. I can buy about twenty sets of these before I ever get close to the cost of something similar paying full price. Time will tell if it is a false economy, but at £17 each, even if I buy a set every season, they’re still significantly cheaper than the expensive ‘proper’ ones.

Edric64
    Free Member

I use L and M lights and not even bright ones (I find 200 lumens enough off road).I find the quality good and the backup excellent through Madison if they go wrong

d45yth
    Free Member

Edric 64 – (I find 200 lumens enough off road)

You must eat a lot of carrots then! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i ride alone i often use a joystick alone.

200lumens is absolutely fine for offroad.

i honestly think some folk are blind.

on the otherhand if you ride with 1000lumen monsters and they are behind you you get lost in your own shadow 🙁

d45yth
    Free Member

This 200 Lumens is fine for offroad thing…surely the faster the you go, the further down the trail you need to point your light? You’re not going to point a 200 Lumen light very far whilst still seeing clearly!

trail_rat
    Free Member

how much do you need to see ?

I did plenty 24 racing (solos , pairs adn quads) with 200 lumens when folks were using 1000 lumens – no need to see whats happening at my front wheel , ive already see that and decided where im going.

ok ive got 1200 lumens on tap now (and i ride slower) but i rarely ever use the full power settings.

breadcrumb

My DX speshul is into its third year now, even if it packed in I’d replace it with the same.

juan
    Free Member

My DX speshul is into its third year now, even if it packed in I’d replace it with the same.

That’s the problem. If it packs up, it’s straight in the bin. Not very much the attitude you’ll expect from a MTBer. Whereas I am pretty sure if your USE, or Hope or lumi packs up, they’ll be abble to fix/upgrade fro a small fee.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve used a 200 lumen light (Light and Motion) to get three 2nd places and one 3rd at Relentless, a 3rd at the Puffer and 1st at the Puffer Lite and Hit the North.

200 is plenty, I now use 1000 and wouldn’t say I’m much quicker.

One team mate ran a DX light at Relentless 2010 and it died on three laps 🙄

federalski
    Free Member

I’ve had a CREE XML T6 Torch, carried in my mouth, showing me the way at Relentless to four 1st place finishes 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind

If you could go to Decathlon and get a bike for £300 that performs the same or better than many expensive bikes, this’d be a great analogy. You seem to be a bit behind the times though, it’s been a while since the chinese lights were just a low-quality, cheap option.

I think you missed the point of my post, it was tongue in cheek, and more about peoples perception of worth/value etc. Some people will never see the value in something more expensive than what they have. There are plenty of people out there who doubtless believe their Carrera Banshee or similar is as good as a bike many times the price, and while they are okay they simply are not comparable with say, a carbon nomad with full Bos suspension.

There’s no arguing with the fact that chinese lights have made night riding accessible to more people, and they do deliver a lot for the money. But there’s also no arguing that their claimed lumens are grossly inflated, their build quality is shoddy, reliability is seriously suspect, and the chargers have been known to explode.

Compared to an exposure product for example they are inferior in every way except price, just horrible tat I’m afraid and nowhere near as powerful for quoted lumens. Some people don’t mind paying for a quality product that is a joy to use, lasts, has great warranty and after sales support even if does cost a bit more.

drlex
    Free Member

Compared to an exposure product for example they are inferior in every way except price, just horrible tat I’m afraid and nowhere near as powerful for quoted lumens. Some people don’t mind paying for a quality product that is a joy to use, lasts, has great warranty and after sales support even if does cost a bit more.

Is this another tongue-in-cheek bit? Or can I just chalk it up to hyperbole?

jimjam
    Free Member

Is this another tongue-in-cheek bit? Or can I just chalk it up to hyperbole?

Take your chinese light down to your local bike shop and compare it to a maxx-d.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Expensive lights’ is closed to new replies.