Viewing 13 posts - 161 through 173 (of 173 total)
  • Expected weight of a modern Hard Tail?
  • benpinnick

A base level Zero TR (the £995 one) in large weighs 27-28lbs depending on tyre choices/1x v 2x drivetrain etc. From there its hard to make it heavier unless you add a Reverb.

amedias
    Free Member

Just out of interest Ben is that 27-28lbs with or without pedals?

What’s a reverb weigh? 530g maybe, so +250g (1/2lb) over a normal post?

All of your bikes come tubeless by default don’t they?

benpinnick

Thats without pedals yes. A reverb adds around 1/2lb on average but that depends on the post of course!

We don’t do tubes 8)

whitestone
    Free Member

What’s the point of weighing without pedals? They are part of the bike, you wouldn’t weigh the bike without the front wheel.

amedias
    Free Member

Because it’s far too personal and dependant on pedal/footwear type so to be fair weights are normally always quoted with pedals. you gonna weigh with riders shoes as well?

So that puts a Bird with reverb and pedals back up to around 29lbs, so right back where we started, an entirely respectable and normal weight for a bike of that type and budget.

I know it’s been said before but should be highlighted again, big thumbs up for Bird supplying bikes already tubeless’d 🙂

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

My new Boardman Pro 29er is 26.9 lbs with pedals. A bit heavier than expected but some of the OE finishing kit is quite lardy and theMountain king tyres are of the non chilli variety so should be able to lose a pound off that quite easily.
    By comparison my 26er hardtail is is 24.5lbs but much less confident inspiring to ride.

whitestone
    Free Member

Because it’s far too personal and dependant on pedal/footwear type so to be fair weights are normally always quoted with pedals. you gonna weigh with riders shoes as well?

So are tyres, saddle, handlebars, gearing, etc. The only weight that matters and that should be compared is trail weight otherwise it’s just showroom BS. You aren’t going to get very far without pedals so why omit them from the total.

Shoes are part of a rider’s clothing so don’t count to the bike weight.

amedias
    Free Member

Shoes are part of a rider’s clothing so don’t count to the bike weight.

But you have to accelerate them round in circles a LOT on the average ride, believe me shoe weight is a factor in racing circles (delicious pun intended)

My point is that pedals are arguably different from tyres and other components as they are more than just a preference, for example, if I ride SPDs and you ride flats, we’d have a hard time swapping bikes on a ride, but our choice of tyres or gearing wouldn’t.

Pedal choice forces you down a particular avenue, if you were looking at bike X supplied with SPDs and you’re a flat rider, comparing it against bike Y supplied with flats you’d have to start looking up pedal weights and doing mental-swapsies to compare, better that they’re just both listed without pedals for an even comparison, especially since pedals are often not supplied OEM or only basic plastic jobbies to get you home.

Pedals exist in that dodgy zone where they’re more than a preference, but still part of the bike as well as the rider, if you could imagine that all bikes simply had ‘default spindle X’ fitted to their cranks, and your shoes/pedal 9as a unit) slotted onto them then you could take them out of the equation. But as it is there is a reason why bike weights have historically been quoted without pedals.

whitestone
    Free Member

I know why manufacturers/shops quote bikes without pedals but once outside that environment it’s pointless: quote the weight of the bike in the configuration you ride it not in comparison to shop quoted weights.

A reasonable comparison would be quoting a manufacturers calorie count of a cake while ignoring the cream you poured over the top. Yes the calorie count is correct for how you bought it but it’s not for how you eat it. Hmm cake … 😆

amedias
    Free Member

quote the weight of the bike in the configuration you ride it not in comparison to shop quoted weights.

on this I agree 🙂

It’s why the question keeps getting asked isn’t it though, manufacturers quote without pedals (for reasons), but then people compare real world weights and get confused why its lb’s heavier once they’ve bolted pedals and proper tyres and a dropper on etc.

And I think it’s also why a lot of people are so often wildly optimistic about their own bike weight unless they’re proper weighers.

benpinnick

Manufacturers have always quoted bikes without pedals because (for legal reasons) the supplied pedals are garbage and would add alot of weight. Once one starts quoting without pedals everyone has too. Otherwise its bunk. Therefore the ridden configuration would almost certainly be different to what is supplied. Its easier to standardise on no pedals than with. Weights are comparative not real in terms of their usefulness.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Late to the party, but my new Scott Scale 910 (carbon 29er) with MountainKing Protection 2.4 on (heavy tyres, tubeless) comes in at 11kg, or 24.3lbs – and that’s with the double still on

Northwind

benpinnick – Member

Therefore the ridden configuration would almost certainly be different to what is supplied. Its easier to standardise on no pedals than with.

Yup. And since with quality bikes, the pedals included aren’t expected to be used, they could easily go the other way and include something useless but very light- tiny plastic pedals or something- and go “400g lighter!”

Viewing 13 posts - 161 through 173 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Expected weight of a modern Hard Tail?’ is closed to new replies.