Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Expected Chain Life??
  • gizzardman
    Free Member

I bought a new SRam PC991 chain about 7 weeks ago and have ridden maybe 2/3 times a week (30-40 miles). I’ve taken the bike in to get some work done on it today and apparently the chain’s almost shot.

What kind of lfe would you expect out of a chain, i expected more than 7 weeks!!??

carlphillips
    Free Member

i would expect a lot more than that too..maybe invest in a chain checker and test it yourself..just to be certain it is shot

MikeWW
    Free Member

Depends on conditions/lubrication/condition of cassette/chain ring
    When they say shot-have they measured it and how much wear?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I reckon about 800 miles off road

gizzardman
    Free Member

fatmutha… funny thing is i just ordered one off CRC last night! Should turn up tomorrow. The guys in the LBS said it’s at 0.70? Apprently when it gets to 0.75 it’s time too replace. Maybe speaking to LBS about it if it is shot. I certainly expect more life than i’ve got. It’s always well lubed, cleaned etc

phildowling
    Free Member

the park tool says to replace upto 1.0

WE generally change or advise at .75. If you push big gears and cross between big ring and big cog that dosen’t help. Also weather is a big factor with mud and crud not helping

Reluctant
    Free Member

Replace at around .1 and you’ll be ok. If kept clean and lubed, I’d agree with SFB – around the 800 mile mark. Depends on the quality of the chain and accuracy of the chain wear guage too though.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

silly thing, but did you replace the cassette with the chain?
    new chain will wear rather quick on an old block…

genghispod
    Free Member

I have a two year old summer bike, it has had one wet ride. Chain is half worn but I have just had to replace the bottom bracket – is technology really moving us forward?

gizzardman
    Free Member

Simply Oli, Rpelace together with a brand new PC991 Sram cassette.

P.S IS the PArk tools chain checker any good/fit for the job?

devs
    Free Member

I read some advice here to just run your chain and cassette into the ground as even at .75 you’ll likely need a new cassette and possible muddle ring. I thought I would follow that advice. Just got in with nice gashes down my leg and on my stomach where I had a chain snap gut to stem interface. Nearly ended up over a drop into a river. That chain was new in Oct so hasn’t done too badly at 30-70 miles a week. Will be changing them sooner now though.

andytherocketeer

My PC971 snapped at 325km (was fitted to new bike with all new drivetrain components).
    It may have occurred at join, but can’t be sure. I hadn’t used the powerlink, since I’d saved that for emergency use out on the trail. Now have a PC991 (must be at about 200km use), and a spare pack of powerlinks.

nickc

There’s no real answer to this. Chain over the winter (SRAM 951) lasted about 280km. The next one I fitted (exactly the same chain) has already done 300km, and shows no signs of wear yet. Conditions on the ground play a huge part.

Answer is to check chain regularly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Expected Chain Life??’ is closed to new replies.