Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Expats in Stockholm
  • chillidave
    Free Member

I’m very likely going out there with work, I’ve experienced life in the Nordics but has anyone lived there for a while? I’m interested if there is any good biking nearby? What the locals are like?

iDave
    Free Member

have a look on internations.org – useful resource for expats anywhere.

chillidave
    Free Member

Cheers Dave, I’ll have a look into that, could be useful.

Pigface
    Free Member

Well I got back last weekend, Stockholm is a bit up its self like any capitol city, if you know what I mean.

Its expensive and the locals are ok, some great biking nearby but they are a bit weird about what trails you are allowed on. Finding somewhere to live in central Sholm can be difficult.

Mrs Pigface lives between Sholm and Oslo and in the little town there are some fun trails but for the love of god dont ride on them they are for joggers and walkers.

bajsyckel

I’m not “local” so comments are from experience with family there and more general tips from elsewhere in the country.

Riding? happymtb is your friend for detailed and useful local knowledge. The forum is good and you won’t have any problem asking questions in English if you don’t speak Swedish yet. Never had any access issues (as mentioned above??) elsewhere in Sweden which you’d expect with the Allemansrätten – basically responsible access is OK pretty much anywhere. CX seems pretty big in the Stockholm area if you’re into that. Riding (like much – but not all – of SE) is overwhelmingly flat though.

What are the people like? Well there’s about 2 million or so in the Greater Stockholm area, so you should be able to find someone you can get on with.

If you want more info on life in Sweden / immigration then there are a few of us on stw who have done things either SE-UK or UK-SE who might be able to help you.

swiss01
    Free Member

learn swedish. learn swedish. learn swedish.

you don’t have to but you’re going to make your life a whole lot trickier. central stockholm is okay for english speaking but if you want to get out and about going to come unstuck and that’s before the weird accents!

and the allemansrätten and all it encompasses is great but, and it’s a big but, the responsibility aspect of it is a long way different from here. and better.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Expats in Stockholm’ is closed to new replies.