Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Expander Sprockets which ones to avoid!!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Need some more help on my 1×10 32×11/36 setup fattie needs a bit more help on the ups.Hope sprocket is very £$£$ so would a superstars one do just as good a job for half the price?

shredder
    Free Member

E13 = soft cheese

stevied
    Free Member

Superstar fine for me

stenhousemuir
    Free Member

The hope one is worth it,trust me

oldboy
    Free Member

+1 Superstar.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

I’ve got a new SS one in the garage surplus to requirements if interested…still boxed etc

benpinnick

The works one is very good and reasonably priced.

postierich
    Free Member

What colour and how much Leigh?

warpcow
    Free Member

Got a Hope and an SS and there’s no difference functionally. Too early to tell about longevity.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

12 months in on the hope no issues
    2 months in on the One Up and it’s fine too

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Ss for me just didn’t work , chain skipped across under torque . After a week of calls and emails and being told my setting up was wrong I finally got a refund. Reviews o n this product shows others had this problem with their purchase. E thirteen on my bouncer works a treat along with a medium cage and no need for the longer b screw. Works Components give them a go , UK made and he’s a top guy. How’s it going Rich?

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Uberbike on the way soon couple of weeks , their gear seams good vfm.

ferrals
    Free Member

When I got my one-up, they were posting out free 16t cogs as well which made one -up the obvious choice IMO.

Be running flawlessly since September using sram cassette/mech/shifter. I notice the jump between 36 and 42 but otherwise good

eulach

General Lee = formaggio

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Rich,
    Tried emailing you but my phone won’t have it for some reason.
    Its black….30 on the site 20 posted,if you fancy it drop me an email?

neil853
    Free Member

Absolute black, terrible.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Wolftooth here. All good. Running with a RADr cage and a Shimano 16t in place of the 15 & 17.

honourablegeorge

neil853 – Member

+1 – they’re shite.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

just get a smaller back wheel

reggiegasket
    Free Member

shite in what way? Shifting or wear or ??

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just go 11 speed and do the job probably, rather than fitting new cages/expander sprockets etc

honourablegeorge

reggiegasket – Member

shite in what way? Shifting or wear or ??

Wore away to nothing in no time, very disappointed

OneUp stuff far more durable.

honourablegeorge

dirtyrider – Member
    just go 11 speed and do the job probably, rather than fitting new cages/expander sprockets etc

“Just spend 500 quid instead of spending 100”

whitestone
    Free Member

Got the Hope TRex, it’s been on the bike since new which is nearly a year now and is still fine though I probably spend less than 0.1% of my time using that gear. The Hope is alu rather than steel (I don’t know what the other makes are made of) so you need to be careful when shifting on to it, though of course you only look to use it when you are making an effort heading uphill.

cliffyc
    Free Member

+1 Hope,been no problems at all. 🙂

v8ninety

Sorry to be dumb, but must have missed this development. What’s an expander sprocket?

cliffyc
    Free Member

It’s a larger low gear sprocket usually 40 or 42 tooth which swops out in a 10 speed cassette (it is usually 17t cog that goes), so you go from 36t to 40/42t cog for a super low gear. Usually single chainring 30-36t,but you can use double chainset if it’s for alpine-type stuff. 🙂

v8ninety

Thanks!

Nipper99
    Free Member

as with v8ninety this has passed my by a bit. Why wouldn’t you just go with a double chainring. Gone from 1×10 back to double on two of my bikes.

honourablegeorge

Nipper99 – Member
    as with v8ninety this has passed my by a bit. Why wouldn’t you just go with a double chainring. Gone from 1×10 back to double on two of my bikes.

Cos doubles are heavier, trap more mud, and offer about the same range, and most of the extra gears are superfluous?

1x setusp aren’t for everyone, but there or plenty of use that would never go back to a front dérailleur.

Why did you go back to a double?

Northwind

Works and One Up are both excellent, tbh I’d say equally good. Long lived, in that I have no idea how long they last but it’s longer than a couple of cassettes. Can’t see any reason to cheap out for the sake of a few pounds.

IMO it’s worth getting a radcage too- I got good results out of a standard mech but it was timeconsuming to set up perfectly and it lacked margin for error. Adding the radcage just makes it work like any other drivetrain.

(One Up will generally get my business just for being the first to do it right, I feel like rewarding that not copyists)

simonside
    Free Member

Swops out? Oh you mean exchange….
    Doubles are heavier? A shifter, a length of wire, a small chainring and a derailleur weighs how much? Are you PROEndooro or just real world user? The weight argument is a load of crap….I bet you could save at least as much be cutting down the contents of your back pack or are you already using Ti multitool/CO2 cartriges?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

What? You’re not? 😯

Northwind

simon side – Member

Doubles are heavier? A shifter, a length of wire, a small chainring and a derailleur weighs how much?

Depends on the components but

XT shifter 130g
    XT mech 150g
    XT 22T chainring 20g
    4 chainring bolts about 10g
    40g or so of cables

42T chainring adds about 50g to your cassette, and you need to add a couple of links

So all in all, about 300g of weight saving. But that’s just one benefit, you get better chain retention, better mud manners (surprising how much difference this makes), and no recovery shifts from going up/down front rings. None of these are things you need to be a pro to benefit from.

The tradeoff of ratios is far less than most people realise because so many of the ratios you “lose” are just duplication. (the exact same was true when people started to move away from triples for mtbs)

It’s not for everyone but it’s definitely a good option for a lot of people. If you’re not fit enough, or you like a close ratio cassette then obviously look elsewhere. All my bikes are 1×10 just now, I built my xc bike with 2×10, rode if for a little while and that just confirmed to me that I’m right to stick with 1×10.

whitestone
    Free Member

TBH the weight saving isn’t huge, somewhere between 250g & 500g. It’s the simplicity that appeals to me: gearing too high? Press the big lever. Starting to spin out? Press the small lever. There are compromises and depending on what you have on your cassette this will be in the range of 2 – 4 ratios, for me it was 3 which I split equally top and bottom of the range.

The other compromise is having a larger gap between ratios, while 2x or 3x drivetrains have some duplicates or near duplicates, it’s the lower ratio gap between gears when in the granny ring that you notice. A 1x drivetrain with an extender is almost the opposite: you feel like you are going from one end of your natural cadence range to the other on every gear change.

oldboy
    Free Member

I’m running 1×10 XT with SS expander and XT 16t on my rigid 29er. The biggest plus for me is just how quiet the ride is. Love it!

rOcKeTdOg

30T chainring & MTF up?

Personally waiting for XT 12-40 for the fatty

reggiegasket
    Free Member

1×10(11) on all my bikes too. Much simpler.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Expander Sprockets which ones to avoid!!’ is closed to new replies.