Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exotic Mag Ti pedals – any good?
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Currently got my SC Nomad on an expensive diet, thinking about these pedals

Looking at the Exotic Mag Ti’s (£86.79):

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=84&p=939&

From what i can make out, they are identical to Nuke Proof Neutron Mag Ti (£154.99!)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=53213

Anyone got them / had any experience of them?

Alan.

mooose
    Free Member

Aye they’re same as the nukeproof (but without paying ~80 quid for the brand name!!). I’ve used the aluminium version of the same pedal and tis brill – grippy, strong, good bearing life, big enough for my size 11’s, and a good price.

The mag-ti will be a little softer/weaker but is sooo light.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The mag-ti will be a little softer/weaker but is sooo light.

That is my worry, im 16 stone you see!

Can’t see a weight limit on there website re. the pedals – might be worth emailing them about it,

Cheers,

Alan.

mooose
    Free Member

Also depends on the type of riding ~> 8″ drop offs would be pushing the limits of a ti axle, while xc/trail with smallish drops/jumps should be fine.

euain

8″ drop offs would be pushing the limits of a ti axle

I’d be happy doing an 8 inch drop off on a Ti axle 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

My experience (of the SS version) is the axles have a similar tensile strength to a warm brie.

I’ve got a set of the Nuke Proof ones that came on a bike I bought, and the axle is different. For starters, you can use a pedal spanner on them, where you can’t on all the others.

I don’t know if they are a different grade of Ti (i’d be surprised if they were) but I haven’t bent one in the time i’ve been through 3 of the competitions. Make of that what you will!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Mag Ti Nuke Proof pedals for about 12 months. The axles are fine and are now sat in a replacement pair of cages (I bought a set of alloy bodies with chromoly axles because you can’t just buy the cages!)

The cages are where the weight is really saved. To illustrate, after I’d swapped the Ti axles out of the Magnesium bodies and put them into alloy bodies, that pedal still weighed more than the magnesium body with the chromoly axle.

But the probem is the magnesium body is really soft, as has been noted above. The reason I had to replace the cages is because a lot of the pins had been ripped out and when they rip out of magnesium, they strip the threads as well so you can’t just replace the pins.

Otherwise they are excellent pedals and the Ti axles have survived me (105kg) doing some reasonable sized drops.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Nukeproof,Superstar and Exotic are all made by the same company

http://www.hti-pedals.com/ht_portal/product/list?cname=pedal

AE01,2,3s look promising.

kimbers

ive got the regular versions of the ss and exotic pedals and theyve been fine, the ss ones have been on my dhbike for 2 years now and survived plenty of big drops, im about 13 stone

Northwind

I’ve never had a pedal shed so many pins as my mag nanos have… Not sure I’d buy them again, but I’ve persevered with them (ironically drilling out the hole and aralditing in a new pin seems to secure them better than the original thread!)

I serviced a set of Nukeproof Neutrons for a mate and they’re functionally identical to the cheaper ones- axles have a flat machined on but are otherwise the same, bushing and seal design is the same, bodies are the same.

ashfanman
    Free Member

I’ve been using Exotic Mag Ti pedals for about a year now.

I’m 14 stone and have had no problems with the axles whatsoever. They’ve been across the Alps and have taken quite a few hefty bashes on rocks without getting bent. The magnesium pedal body is very soft, however – much more so than the Wellgo MG1s they replaced. I’ve lost several pins on each side. They still grip fine though.

Not sure I’d pay £86 for them though. Maybe look at DMR Vault for that price? A bit heavier, but much sturdier and a good sized platform?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exotic Mag Ti pedals – any good?’ is closed to new replies.