Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Exotic forks – alloy v carbon
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Looking at these…alloy are 25% cheaper and a little heavier…how do they ride?

cynic-al
    Free Member

*bumps*

andyl
    Free Member

Not uesed either but I would spend the extra 25%.

miketually
    Free Member

The steerer you mean? Carbon steerers scare me.

clubber
    Free Member

Can only comment on the alu steerer ones but they’re much of a muchness ride-wise with all the other carbon rigids I’ve used – eg a bit of give but nothing to write home about.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fantastic stw advice:

Admission of no knowledge – CHECK

No basis provided for advice – CHECK

pedalhead
    Free Member

carbon ones in the classifieds for the price of new alloy (not mine). Worth a punt IMO.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Highly recommend the carbon! Very light and flexible!
    Go for it!
    I wouldn’t go for the all steerer carbon though! 😐

cynic-al
    Free Member

Carbon steerer + £££+ and hardly any lighter.

I’m after 29er PH

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m after 29er PH

ah, doh

tk46hal
    Free Member

I got these 29er ones off here for 65 posted and they were mint, as new!
    There are also lots on Fleabay to choose from as well!

cynic-al
    Free Member

WD I can get new alloy ones with a warranty for £5 less!

Junkyard
    Free Member

oh you SO need my input now
    Opinionated -CHECK
    Informed – NO
    Engineer- NO
    29 er owner – NO
    Rigid Fork owner -NO
    Carbon Forks owner-NO
    IMHO decide how light you want or how much you want to spend and act accordingly
    HTH
    😆

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’m confused now, whether you are talking about eXotic carbon v alloy forks or steerers. Re steerers, haven’t you answered your own question? if they’re hardly any lighter why bother paying 25% more?. Re forks, I have Nukeproof carbon (exactly the same fork I believe) and Salsa Cromo, use them on the same bike, the carbons are a bit more springy and comfortable, I find.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

If interested I could also sent you the reciept as well so this might work with the warranty, so your choice, take it or leave it.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aren’t carbon legs a little more forgiving?, aluminium legs will produce a slightly harsher ride.

tk46hal
    Free Member

Get the ones from Daddy and job done! 😉

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yep, I’d go for the 2nd hand carbon for a softer ride and lighter bike. They are virtually new and unmarked, so presumably not been rattled down any rocky descents.
    BTW I don’t think the carbons are fragile, if that’s a concern, I’ve been regularly using mine in the Yorks Dales on rough fast descents, with no problems (so far).

crispedwheel
    Free Member

I’ve had the 26 alloy forks on my rigid commuter/mtb for a year. Weight with uncut steerer was 925g iirc. Ride absolutely fine, I don’t find them particularly harsh at all.

jonba
    Free Member

If you are talking about legs and not steerers then I would have thought changes in tyre pressure and size would be more noticeable. Big difference on the road but I’m running radial spoked factory wheel, 25mm tyres at 100psi. With a 2.3″ tyre at 35psi on a 3 cross wheel I’m not sure the effects would be as great.

andyl
    Free Member

Well I do have alloy kinesis rigids (blade type) on my Merlin but am running 26″ hybrid tyres (commuter). Completely different design to the basic round tubes ones but you do get all the chatter just like an aluminium frame whereas a carbon frame filters it out.

In order of harshness the general consensus is: Aluminium (harshest), cromoly steel, carbon. But that is with near identical design so it is down to material only.

Given the choice I would ride carbon for comfort and off road performance. Steel for ultimate life and being able to abuse them. Alloy for cost v weight.

rustler
    Free Member

Carbon, but dont go looking down the legs as your braking heavy. 🙂

Carbon On-Ones on my 29er. Love them. Add some wide, non oversize carbon bars for added affect.

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Ahaaaaaa,
    Well now, I rode with some Alu suspension corrected ones (26 inch) for a couple of years (mainly commuting and rough tow path sruff. Thats all I could afford at the time and they worked great.
    I then built a 29er and used the forks on it with disc brakes for 3 to 4 months until I replaced them with the carbon 29er version.
    I noticed a difference straight away as you can watch the carbon ones flex constantly, smoothing things out a little.
    Theres not much difference in price so I’d go with carbon, but the old alu forks are still going strong on my daughters bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Exotic forks – alloy v carbon’ is closed to new replies.