Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Exotic Carbon forks…will I die?
  • jamesy01
    Free Member

Hi, looking to make my Scandal SS rigid for winter and beyond.
    Fancied carbon for the lightness and bling effect however Exotics have a 215lb rider weight limit and I’m generally 5 to 10lb beyond this…
    If I chance it will I die?
    Or
    Should I save a few quid and go Alu for the sake of my child growing up with a father?

Northwind

Mine have been put to some pretty hard use but then I weigh way under the limit. Suppose if you’re going to ask much of the fork it’d make sense to get one that you’re not pushing beyond its comfort zone, but if it’ll have an easy life it’s more likely to be OK.

Cheezpleez

Mine’s had a hard life too with no problems but again, I’m well within the weight limit. Think they do a dirt jump version that will presumably be tougher.

shortcut

I have the On One carbons – same factory I believe, I am close to the aforementioned weight limit and will say they flex alarmingly under heavy braking. So yes – you could die.

Will you? – well it depends what you ride, how hard you ride and how often!!

Stair cases, rock chutes, big jumps and impossible steeps may not be good. Canal tow paths. – will certainly be fine!

fenred
    Free Member

Chuffed with mine, been on this particular build for a couple of months now, loving the rigid thing, but beware, you need to be under manners if youre used to riding with squish up front 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

mk1fan
    Free Member

I’d source a fork that doesn’t carry such a ‘low’ max weight limit.

yunki
    Free Member

the way I understand it is this:

the exotic fork is quite compliant, and is also rebranded and sold for a lot more pennies by another manufacturer or two..

the on-one fork is much more rigid..

I’ve only had my exotic fork a few weeks so am not able to comment as yet.. hopefully it will be able to take a fair old bit of abuse, I’m only 11 stone though..

Stuey01
    Free Member

Salsa Chromoto steel does the job on my commuter.

I weigh 92kg and didn’t want to take the risk on something I was close to the weight limit on. Plus my commuter takes a bit of abuse getting shoved in and out of racks, locked up to railings etc. The forks are often in contact with other hunks of steel, I thought the steel forks would stand up to this sort of abuse better.
    The steel forks look considerably less “bling” = less attractive to light fingered gits looking to feed their crack habit.

If you aren’t commuting on it then most of this is probably not relevant. If you are planning to ride it off-road though, personally I wouldn’t consider something that you are pushing the weight limit on.

The handling after I installed the Chromoto’s was distinctly weird (they replaced an old set of rockshox Judy DH), until I put a longer stem on it (110mm), now works much better.

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I cracked the steerer tube on my exotics 🙁 I weigh around 150 pounds dry so 155 wet. This was due to repeated bad drop offs with heavy front wheel landings. Only about a foot high though.

yunki
    Free Member

I weigh around 150 pounds dry so 155 wet. This was due to repeated bad drop offs with heavy front wheel landings. Only about a foot high though.

uh oh.. that’s me that is 😕

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve been heavier than you and mine are still going strong.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Exotic Carbon forks…will I die?’ is closed to new replies.