Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exmoor – what to Expect
  • peterich
    Free Member

going to exmoor riding on saturday looks pretty good what do you guys that have riden there think
    doing a route from mbuk a while back porlock to somewhere begining with d including some big welknown woods

w1zard
    Free Member

That would be Dunkery and Horner Wood. It’s a top route, nice and varied, steep old climbs but some rewarding downs too. Expect rooty woods with flowy singletrack, exposed heights on the beacon, and rocky bridleways.

One of my favourite areas 🙂

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Dunkery Beacon is the highest point in Somerset and is pretty open. Due to its proximately to the sea it’s a bit of a windy old place at times.
    Some amazing descents off the top though

If you find you like it you should take part in the
    Mondraker Gravity Enduro in July – its based just outside Porlock and takes in some of the best trails in the area.

peterich
    Free Member

thanks for the replys that enduro sounds good

Pook

anyone got a link to the route?

peterich
    Free Member

yeah ill get it and post it asap

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s my favourite place to ride in fine weather but I find it just too far to regularly day trip. When we get into summer ill be camping and riding from Porlock a few weekend. Beware the hills feel big and have some evil climbs. Dunkery is quite rocky while the woods are dirt and roots. It could be a bit muddy still.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Do the Bridleway of the top of Dunkery Beacon down across the road and onto Brockwell lovely.99% of the time its windy on top of Dunkery Beacon.Also there is lots of trails of Grabbist Hill which is the ridge behind Minehead.In the hot weather its great riding through all the stream crossing in Horner wood.Some tough climbs around there.Been riding Exmoor for 23 years odd great place doent change much and you dont see to many people.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Where do you live then Dobiejessmo?
    Whilst I’ve not ridden Exmoor that much, and certainly not very much in recent times, I too have been a mountain biker on Exmoor (and mainly the Quantocks) for 23 years. Just wondering if our paths have crossed?

I grew up in Taunton and was one of the original ‘Ralphies’ MTB lot.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Hi Richie to be honest its only in recent years i have seen other MTBikers out there.I live in the Cotswolds but often take a weeks hols down there for riding and walking.Ist week was back in 1990.In some repects its great the trails never change so you can remember where they all are.I have a thing about Dunkery Beacon love being up there.Only started riding the Quantocks back in 2000.We well might of past each other sometime.

dropoff

I think it may be time for an Exmoor riders reunion ride 🙂 Maybe take in some of the lesser known bits eh ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor – what to Expect’ is closed to new replies.