Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Exmoor trails
  • NazNomad
    Free Member

Heading to Exmoor over Easter with some mates (we’ll be based in Porlock) & although I’ve got a couple of routes planned in it’s been nearly 10 years since I last rode there. Just wondering if there’s any trails that we really must seek out? (Singletrack , techy preferred!)

Cheers

Dave

ceepers

There’s a fun singletrack descent through the wood on the east side of the worthy toll road behind the weir. Think the strava is called “the old one, two” maybe?

The bridleway in hawkcombe wood is good too.

Bring climbing legs!

NazNomad
    Free Member

Cheers Creepers, I’m well aware of the need for climbing legs in the area , that’s why I thought I’d ask for some pointers…try & minimise the pain!

pete68
    Free Member

Lots of popular tracks up at hopcott just south of Minehead. There’s an enduro race up there easter weekend though so best avoiding it then. If you’re still down after then though it’s worth checking out. Unfortunately climbing and pain are unavoidable!

dropoff

Where are you staying in Porlock ?

xc-steve
    Free Member

My In-laws live over this way and have always taken my road bike as its well just easier to find a ride. How accessible are the off road trails over there if I form a rout from strava heat maps how likely am I to get ‘your not allowed to ride along there’ or ‘get off my land’ etc?

pete68
    Free Member

Xc-steve, plenty of easily accessible trails,just look at a map and you’ll see there’s loads of bridleways. Lots of other well used tracks too, which as long as you ride with a bit of consideration for others you’ll be fine. Most of the locals loop round Hopcott, dunkery, Selworthy beacon /north hill and also Dunster forest /Croydon hill. I’d be happy to take anyone out but I’m already busy good Friday through to easter Sunday.

jobro
    Free Member

I hope it dry’s out by Easter. It’s a muck fest at the moment!

NazNomad
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up about Hopcott over Easter, I’ll leave that for another time

Staying at Burowhayes campsite so Horner wood is literally out the back gate (& up a big hill 8O)

theotherjonv

everything on exmoor’s either up a big hill or down a big hill

Unless it’s in the middle, in which case it’s both up and down a big hill.

pete68
    Free Member

You don’t have to avoid hopcott completely. There’s plenty of prows up there which I assume will be open to the public.

scottfitz
    Free Member

pete68 – Member

You don’t have to avoid hopcott completely. There’s plenty of prows up there which I assume will be open to the public.
    Yes in fact the hopcott part of the hill is not being used, Just bratton and wootton common.

Plus on the Saturday Night there is a beer tent and music at the enduro race with load of people chatting about bikes, everyone is welcome to come along racer or not.

jobro
    Free Member

My standard ride on Exmoor is this:
    You’ll have to follow it up on a map otherwise it’ll take forever to describe.
    Start by the church in Porlock and follow the track up Hawkcombe head. At the top ( it’s about 3 miles of climbing) go left on the road and follow across Aldermans barrow and then go up the easy climb to Dunkery. From the top follow the wide trail to pick up the downhill to Luckwell. Just before the bottom take the bridleway on the left up to Webbers post. Follow the downhill back down to Horner water and then a long climb up to meet Granny’s ride and around to the Doverhay downhill and back to Porlock.

Another good un’ starts at Minehead and over the hill to Wooten Courtney. Follow the trail to Dunkery and follow the down hill to Luckwell and up to Webbers. At Horner water go down the valley to Horner tea rooms and follow the bridleway and the long climb up to Selworthy beacon. Follow the great down hill back to Minehead.
    Brief descriptions but I think you can work them out with a good map.

canopy
    Free Member

been to hopcott a handful of times, i’m waiting for more reliable weather to visit the hawk combe area..

btw theres lots in that area on trail forks > https://www.trailforks.com/region/dunkery–horner-woods/

oldfart

jobro your 2nd route is my usual , downhill back to Minehead is a hoot ! Does anybody know a trail around Horner Woods that opens up overlooking a valley with a long sweeping downhill ? I stumbled across it a few years ago but for the life of me can’t remember how I got there !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor trails’ is closed to new replies.