Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Exmoor Singlespeed Madness?
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My geared hardtail needs a complete overhaul and is in bits – don’t have time to sort it out, so it looks like I’ll be taking the 1×1 to Exmoor for Christmas. I’ve ridden it there and the Quantocks in its current 32:16 guise before and got on OK although obviously had to portage a few of the steeper combes and road climbs.

More than prepared for the fact that I’m going to have to do some hike-a-bike whatever I do but wondering whether it’s worth adding a couple of cogs at the back. I’ve got a spare 18T sprocket knocking around somewhere.

Anyone regularly ride Exmoor on a singlespeed, and if so, what ratio are you using?

Oh… and I’m going to be based in Dulverton which pretty much means a steep climb in every direction!

Clink

I use 32:18 on 29eron Quantocks. If you’re noy used to it may be worth putting you 18 on, especially in ice/snow.

letmetalktomark

I used to ride in the Quantocks a fair bit.

I would say that for more enjoyment gear down as there can be a fair bit of steep enjoyable climbing depending on where you are heading.

32 x 18 with perhaps a 20 just in case?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I use 32:18 on 29eron Quantocks. If you’re noy used to it may be worth putting you 18 on, especially in ice/snow.

I ride singlespeed about 90% of the time anyway but good point regarding the snow – I’ll probably stick some bigger tyres on too.

bassspine
    Free Member

I do about 39 gear inches on my singlespeed, Exmoor is hard work at that, but do-able.

You want narrow tyres for snow.

oxym0r0n

32:17 on Exmoor & Quantocks is fine for me…

trailmonkey

*sniggers* exmoor on a dinglybob, good luck with that.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

You want narrow tyres for snow.

Not for really thick snow! Found that to my cost lately.

*sniggers* exmoor on a dinglybob, good luck with that.

As per my original post I’ve ridden Exmoor on a “dinglybob” previously – just wanted advice on what locals were running in terms of gear ratio. No need to get snide.

knottie8
    Free Member

yes I ride Exmoor(and Qs ,Dartmoor) with just the one gear (32/18) oh and I walk alot too.

sharki
    Free Member

32:16 if you’re riding solo,
    32:18 if you want to be sociable on the ups in a group.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Looks like the 18T is going on then. I’m moving down permanently next year so this is a bit of a trial by fire to see whether I’m still going to hang on to my two singlespeeds or flog at least one of them and buy something more sensible for the terrain!

rexated
    Free Member

“I’m moving down permanently next year”

Good choice!

I singlesped up dunkery a couple of weeks ago in the snow and 32:17 did me fine.

pcb
    Free Member

I run 32:16 on my single and I ride the Quantocks and Exmoor a lot.

Most hills are doable if you are used to the gear.

thekingofsweden

Sounds like a quantocks/exmoor ss ride should be on the cards 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sounds like a quantocks/exmoor ss ride should be on the cards

Ride my arse call it a sociable walk more like 🙄

thekingofsweden

Whatever sociable walk or ride don’t mind 🙄

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

A sociable walk may be more like it given that i’ve hardly been out on the bike over the last few weeks but I’d be up for that (depending on when). Am down for two weeks over Christmas / New Year but it’s likely to be a case of quick morning blasts around family commitments.

I will be popping backwards and forwards until we move down permanently over the summer.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Exmoor is markedly steeper (and generally bigger) than the Quantocks. For max fun I’d gear down or take a geary.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor Singlespeed Madness?’ is closed to new replies.