Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exmoor – Riding around Porlock/Minehead with kids
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Heading to the area on the long weekend, contemplating taking the bikes.

Can anyone recommend some riding in the area please? Kids are 10 and 9.

Flowy single track ideal of course and both are happy to ride/push up – anything between 10 to 20km is ok distance wise.

Thanks

pete68
    Free Member

You could drive up to north hill from minehead. Follow the bridleway to Selworthy beacon and then follow a different path back. There’s a good track that runs closer too the road. Very scenic with good views out to sea. If you want longer then you could continue on the coast path down to the harbour.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

thanks Pete will look it up

theotherjonv

There’s some brutal hills, up and down. 20km of the wrong sort of tracks would break some grown men.

Depending on the kids; parking at the top car park due west of Dunkery by Exford Common and riding up to the beacon, maybe down the other side (rocky but rideable)and retrace or north down a steep but relatively smooth (as Exmoor goes) b/way and then left along the road back up rto the start might be doable.

Or for flatter (again as Exmoor goes) but scenic – park in Horner and then follow Horner water all the way to the Pool bridge camping site, and then retrace. Although it’s all stream edge with babbling water, etc, it’s an interesting path with ca 140m climb along it’s length (and 140m drop onn the way back) – and an ice cream or jammy scone at the end.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

theotherjonv thanks the latter might work as we’re camped at the Pool Bridge camping site…. the kids know the mantra now about what goes up…. 🙂

theotherjonv

If you’re camped at Pool Bridge then it’s downhill to the tea rooms and then uphill back!!

Pool Bridge is fantastic, my old MTB club has an annual trip there. Basic but proper camping, by the stream, fires allowed…..

If you’re going anywhere other than along Horner water though, the first climb of the day is ‘interesting’ – especially on the Sunday with Saturday’s beer in the legs.

kayakboy
    Free Member

done some rides with a shuttle assist ( younger kids) in horner woods – not too steep and smooth. hard to get a good circular route due to steepness but def fun to explore

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

thanks for the tip jonv, looking forward to campfires

perfect kayak ta

pete68
    Free Member

From where you’re camping you could go up to Webbers Post. There’s a purpose built mtb track up there. It heads down towards chapel cross alongside crook horn hill. The first part is hard packed and twisty. You can then follow the main track back to the top. Some of the locals have used it as an introduction to mtbing for local kids.

theotherjonv

I’ve not been for a couple of years, is that new? Would love to take my kids down there camping.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks Pete and ToJ for the suggestions.

We found the stuff around Webbers Post by chance, we thought of going along Horner Water after WP but I think the climbs had taken the wind out of them by then. There is quite a bit around Horner Wood itself but my daughter had gone out earlier on hack and she didnt’t fancy anymore climbs! PBC was fantastic albeit a bit crowded due to the bank holiday but we were at one end so it worked very nicely.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor – Riding around Porlock/Minehead with kids’ is closed to new replies.