Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • exmoor – ride and stay advice please
  • peterich
    Free Member

hi guys
    a group of 5 of us are going from cornwall to Exmoor for next fri and sat
    Ive got the vertebrate media southwest mountain biking guide with routes in please can I have your best route ideas (preferable from the book so I can find my way)
    also looking for where to stay and set up base please – all ideas welcome we can camp bunk etc and a pub would be nice but not essential
    thanks in advance for your help
    regards pete

Argonaut
    Free Member

I would recommend Porlock as a base.
    Lots of rides straight from the village, Horner wood and Selworthy Beacon over to Minehead are both great rides. Stayed at Sparkhayes campsite many times, just a stagger from several top pubs. Exmoor Gold, mmmmm.

thepurist

Here’s a thread I started last year with some good advice in it

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/porlockminehead-locals

KateD
    Free Member

+1 for Porlock. If you’ve got an OS map I’d head for Horner woods and up to Dunkery Beacon. The Macmillan way path from Dunkery down to Brockwell is good fun, then if you cut across over to webbers post there are some cheeky zig zag paths marked on the map that take you back down to the river which are well worth a look!

snaps
    Free Member

Porlock, Minehead or Dunster are good places to base yourself with riding from the door in most directions, can’t recommend anywhere to stay as I live nearby.
    I’m happy to show you around the better bits if you drop me a email.

jezketley
    Free Member

Porlock is a great base. The rides out lorna doone valley, up to dunkery beacon, and also over to Selworthy Beacon are all great. Enough for two or three days riding with no need to drive anywhere else.

tom200

Remember to pack a granny ring 🙂

crispybacon
    Free Member

a friend of mine runs this bunkhouse called Base Lodge its clean, cheap & in Minehead so great for a pubs/restaurants etc and the guy is a MTBer too and can suggest routes if necessary.

I’ve stayed there a few times & its a great place to stay for a weekends riding.

ceepers

BUMP!

So I’ve got a rare Friday afternoon to myself and time to head a little further east than my usual haunts.

I’ve got the vertebrate book and about 3 hours riding time looking at either the county gate/ porlock weir ride, the selworthy beacon or Horner wood ride

Which is the best use of my rare guilt free solo playtime?’

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘exmoor – ride and stay advice please’ is closed to new replies.