Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Exmoor Bike Marathon – Still places remaining!!
  • The British Heart Foundation would like to invite you to sign up for the Exmoor Bike Marathon.
    Saturday 5th September 2009.

Previously the South West Randonnee, this year its not only the name which has changed but we have 5 routes to choose from so for people just starting out we have 12.5km route, followed by a 25, 50, 75 and a mega 100km for the really experienced rider.

We are starting and finishing this year in the beautiful village of Porlock.

The BHF would like to see as many people as possible sign up for this event which is why we are offering entry level routes so we can appeal to a wider audience. Remember that the sponsorship that you can raise helps towards vital research into heart disease which is still the UK's biggest killer.

Enter online today at http://www.bhf.org.uk/exmoor please call for more information 0800 169 3672.

We look forward to seeing you there!

singletracksurfer

anyone on here doing it?

Clink

Did it last time they ran it (2007?) and really enjoyed it; well run. Have a place this year, but can't do it now and they don't refund the entry fee 🙁

(I know they're a charity, but £33 is a lot)

patentlywill
    Free Member

I've entered – not sure which distance yet – is the 100K really as tough as the blurb says – 12 hours in the saddle – I think I'll mince along on the shorter route…

ROUTE 4: (75km) Peeling off from route 3 you join a lovely, technical, rocky trail alongside the river Barle, then more moorland riding before passing some welcome villages cream tea shops. Rejoin route 3 and descent into Porlock, where after nearly 2,500 meters of climbing you will still need to keep your concentration on this fun and technical single track.

ROUTE 5: (100km) This route should really not be underestimated. Expect to be riding for 12hours on steep, technical, rocky trails, climbing for around 3,300m. This route leaves and rejoins route 4, to climb and descend Dunkery Beacon before entering the dense woodland of Horner Wood, then climbs back onto the hilltops before the fun and technical single track descent into Porlock.

radoggair
    Free Member

ROUTE 5: (100km) This route should really not be underestimated. Expect to be riding for 12hours on steep, technical, rocky trails, climbing for around 3,300m. This route leaves and rejoins route 4, to climb and descend Dunkery Beacon before entering the dense woodland of Horner Wood, then climbs back onto the hilltops before the fun and technical single track descent into Porlock.

wow.. there either banking on some really really slow riders, or the course is uber technical with some cream and cherries. To be averaging only 5 mph, that must be tough, in fact i would say if you can only average that speed i wouldn't even attempt the 50km never mind the 100km

singletracksurfer

can you pass it on?

trailmonkey

I'd say you'd have to be near enough elite cat to tackle the 100km version. I certainly wouldn't imagine that the 75km is a walk in the park either.

Good luck with that.

singletracksurfer

It is a VERY hilly place – even so, 12hrs is playing it safe.

I've done 80km there and it probably took nearly 8hrs in all (and lots of will power), so I reckon 100km would take 10-11 hrs + breaks.

radoggair – doesn't your average speed drop the longer the ride – mine does.

Do 100km – you can always bail out & stay on the 75km route if needed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

The original course for the 2007 event was supposed to be 100+ miles over the Quantocks and Exmoor but they slimmed it down in the end. I was up on the Quantocks and saw some of the riders returning, they looked shattered. 🙁

singletracksurfer

100+ miles

off road

in exmoor

no thank you. 😯

Dibbs
    Free Member

100+ miles

off road

in exmoor

no thank you

I take it you won't be interested in the "Exmoor Beast" then 🙂

singletracksurfer

thats on the road though isn't it?!

Might think about doing that sometime now I've got a road bike.

Dibbs
    Free Member

It is on the road but I'm sure that will be more than enough.

singletracksurfer

think I will do that – I'm enjoying doing these hard but not (so) competitive charity events i.e. I'm past my best.

Did it last time they ran it (2007?) and really enjoyed it; well run. Have a place this year, but can't do it now and they don't refund the entry fee

(I know they're a charity, but £33 is a lot)

Hi Clink,

I am sorry that we do not offer a refund for our events, however if you are interested in taking part in a different event or infact next years bike marathon, we'd be happy to move your registration over. please get in contact on 0800 169 3672 or email westevents@bhf.org.uk to discuss this with the team.

Thanks.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yep. will prob do the 50 given my fitness level

purplechair
    Free Member

has anyone managed to open the gpx file with tracklogs yet? – I've updated V3 via tracklogs website – fileopens but has no trackpoints or waypoints

any ideas?

charlierevell
    Free Member

I've just got back from Exmoor (and the quantocks) and I'll tell you now, If you go for the 100Km your mad (AND IM IN THE KIELDER 100!!!!)
    We did 23 miles up there today but took in 4500ft of climbing.

Did the explorer too, that took 4.5 hours riding to do 36miles and 5500ft. So you going to be hitting the 10hour mark unless your very fit!

singletracksurfer

the 75km one is very doable (done) – the extra 25km for the 100 will be very tough going, but with an early start, support & a lot of time…..

Heading down there this week. whopee.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

The original course for the 2007 event was supposed to be 100+ miles over the Quantocks and Exmoor

I was one of the poor saps who did that long route. Think it was 85miles by the end of the day. And a good c.10hrs in the saddle. Can't remember the climbing stats but they must have been phenomenal. As I recall I was a little disappointed with the route (missed all the best bits on the Quantocks, for instance – shedloads of fireroad, though…). Saw some riders cut HUGE corners where the route zig-zagged through the forest. I also remember thinking the event was FAR too tough for your average Joe on a charity bike ride.

Oh, and I crashed in a rut and taco'd my front wheel (splitting the rim) and bent my forks with 20miles to go which probably only compounded my non-enjoyment. Bent the wheel back into shape and limped back to Cannington very gingerly. Mate ripped his r-mech off near the end, too, and we fashioned a SS out of his Heckler… An expensive day all round.

Entry fee was steep given that we'd all raised considerable sponsorship as well.

I have also asked the organisers to remove my details from their database but they STILL persist in bombarding me with junkmail and spam 😉

Pah, but don't mind me. I'm just a grumpy sod in a minority of one. Everyone else had a great time, I'm sure. The BHF obviously do FANTASTIC work and I wish them – and all the participants for this year – all the very best!

I was one of the poor saps who did that long route. Think it was 85miles by the end of the day. And a good c.10hrs in the saddle. Can't remember the climbing stats but they must have been phenomenal. As I recall I was a little disappointed with the route (missed all the best bits on the Quantocks, for instance – shedloads of fireroad, though…). Saw some riders cut HUGE corners where the route zig-zagged through the forest. I also remember thinking the event was FAR too tough for your average Joe on a charity bike ride.

Oh, and I crashed in a rut and taco'd my front wheel (splitting the rim) and bent my forks with 20miles to go which probably only compounded my non-enjoyment. Bent the wheel back into shape and limped back to Cannington very gingerly. Mate ripped his r-mech off near the end, too, and we fashioned a SS out of his Heckler… An expensive day all round.

Entry fee was steep given that we'd all raised considerable sponsorship as well.

I have also asked the organisers to remove my details from their database but they STILL persist in bombarding me with junkmail and spam

Pah, but don't mind me. I'm just a grumpy sod in a minority of one. Everyone else had a great time, I'm sure. The BHF obviously do FANTASTIC work and I wish them – and all the participants for this year – all the very best!

Hello Thurman Merman – please can you contact me personally and I will ensure that your details are removed from our database – sorry about that. edwardsl@bhf.org.uk – thanks Laura.

Hello – it would appear that the GPX files of our routes, have become corrupt. If anyone has uploaded the correct routes please can you share them with fellow riders in this forum. Fingers crossed we'll get it sorted this way!

Looking forward to seeing all the participants in just over a week!

P.S We have sent all rider packs via email which has thorough information and joining instructions etc. If you still have not received this and confirmed back to us your choice of route. Please call or email us immediately on westevents@bhf.org.uk or 0800 169 3672.

Thanks – Laura. 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor Bike Marathon – Still places remaining!!’ is closed to new replies.