Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Exmoor
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Thinking of pick up on the MBR Exmoor route in a couple of weeks. Any ideas of what the drainage and trails get like in the winter.

I ride the Quantocks a lot and know these drain quite well but did not know if the Exmoor is the same.

The route is one of the ’20 best ofs…’

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Exmoor is similar to Quantocks maybe just more rocky you go up Dunkery Beacon/North Hill/Porlock/Bossington/around Duster all very rideable you will get muddy but its thick stuff apart from the B/W down to Wotton Courtney then you get covered in that red stuff same going through Horner wood can be very wet but still good fun just very gritty like the Quantocks.

rob2
    Free Member

As above. We were at and Horner woods on Sunday and all very rideable and bike hardly dirty!

hooja
    Free Member

I’m off for a loop of the mbr on the weekend.
    Will gladly report back on conditions

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Great stuff,

I’m heading there mid-Feb (half term). I normally find that 3 dry days prior to going is great for the Quantocks.

Would like to give the Exmoor a run.

thegerminator
    Free Member

A lot of exmoor trails are quite stoney based, make sure you do the stoke pero
    descent huge fun.
    Hawkcombe a must to, the lower part can be wet with the various stream crossings,
    so after the first 5bar gate, take the bridleway up on the left, then contour round at the
    top, then drop down to porlock, another great exmoor descent.
    Take an o/s map, plenty of energy food and your climbing legs, its tough but brilliant
    mountain biking. 😀

pete68
    Free Member

I’m in Porlock and did a short ride last night. Bike came back so clean I could just bring it straight indoors. Some of the lower tracks and the combes are wet but very rideable. If you do the hawkcombe descent you can do a short climb half way down to join the north terrace path which cuts out the wet bit and is much better riding as well. If anyone wants any company when they’re here I’m usually about. Email in profile.

pete68
    Free Member

Quick update. Alot wetter now and more rain forecast all week. Still be a good ride just be prepared for some soft bits.

snaps
    Free Member

Have you got link to the route?
    Some of those magazine routes miss out the best bits & have way to much tarmac.

oldfart

If it’s MBR it’ll climb all the best descents ??

theotherjonv

If you do the hawkcombe descent you can do a short climb half way down

Is that the short climb that makes my lungs turn to the size of walnuts and cough out of my chest?

pete68
    Free Member

Said it was short, didn’t say it’s not steep?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor’ is closed to new replies.