Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Exmoor
  • sambalaws
    Free Member

Hi all, im heading to exmoor this weekend and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some routes with me. I was thinking Horner woods dunkery that kinda of area.

Will be a 4ish hour ride and would like as much singletrack as possible.

Thanks

oldfart

You could my favoured group ride route which I did on Monday . Start in Minehead gentle road ride warm up to Dunster . Through the village turn right towards school , ride bridle path past allotments to climb Grabbist Hill . Cross Wooton Common heading towards Wooton Courtney good rocky descent to WC . On the road right then left to Brockwell ,2 choices around Dunkery to Webbers Post or as we did up to the Beacon . Great downhill to Webbers Post just watch for the drainage channels across the trail ! Then head to Stoke Pero (various options) Then into Horner Woods for some sweet d/h action ! Then either head into Porlock or go straight to Selworthy . Make your way to Selworthy Beacon (again several options ) then the big finish . 2 mile sweet downhill down North Hill back to Minehead . Best to take an O/S map or a smart phone in case . Hope this helps ?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

oldfart’s route is a good one but might take you more than 4 hours. And he must know a better route back into Minehead than me, I always end up on tarmac sooner than I’d like.

You could spend 4 hours messing around in Horner Woods, there are some amazing bridleways and deer paths there. Porlock Woods too.

Hawkcombe is fun, but before you hit the tarmac at the big house, climb back up on the north terrace and sniff out some really nice stuff up there.

Or there’s Doone Valley, or trails to Exford, or so many others!

Have fun, we’re heading down there too.

Pook

The drop into porlock weir is incredible

thepurist

Pook said that on a thread where I was asking about riding there last year. He is quite right ;). I also enjoyed a descent W of Selworthy beacon – can’t remember the name but it starts fast wide and grassy then contours along the hillside before a right hand hairpin then through a rocky bit and pops out by the bird zoo thing.

dropoff

Riding om Xmoor’s really rubbish, you wanna stick to that trail center
    stuff much better

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Keep away from the Bridleway down into Wooton Courtney inless you dont mind your bike turning RED in an instant.Lovely descent down to the big deer gate to Horner.Nice descent of the top of North Hill down to Minehead harbour.
    NO Rallye cars to worry about this weekend 🙂

sambalaws
    Free Member

Thanks for the great responses. I’ll look at my os map tomorrow and hopefully get something mapped out.

With the risk of sounding a bit simple and missing the obvious but why will my bike turn red?

oldfart

The route I suggested is about 20 miles and it’s off road all the way from Selworthy Beacon to Minehead harbour . You can cut bits out by going round Dunkery to Webbers Post , then when you hit the road turn right head downhill then turn left and you’ll come out at Stoke Pero church . That cuts out a fair bit of mostly un eventful riding .

eviljoe
    Free Member

why will my bike turn red?

Beautiful rich red Exmoor soil. It will wash off!

pete68
    Free Member

Been out from minehead today. A few up bad downs of grabbiest hill, then a lap of Croydon hill and through Timberscombe and up the byway to Wooton common. Down to Wooton Courtney on the rocky track. Up to Brockwell then followed the bridleway to Horner. Finished up round the back of Burrowhayes campsite and down to Porlock. Lots of climbing but a nice day out.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Exmoor’ is closed to new replies.