Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Exhaust Manifold, hole therein, how bad?
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Apparently the volvo has a hole in the manifold, still drives mostly ok, bit noisey though the exhaust is going the same way. Still seems to pull fine – bit rough at higher revs if ive been booting it about.

Whats the implications for just ignoring it for a while.

TBH i know more about bikes than the workings of cars.

MrNutt
    Free Member

poor performance, uses more fuel, mot fail?

wwaswas

could be bad if it's above the sensors as it'll play havoc with fuelling etc.

if it's a turbo could be bad too.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Went though its MOT a few days ago so not worried about that, not noticed any real MPG decrease.

As long as its not terminal I'll get it done once I've booked this years race season. Priorities eh?

Hmmmm.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Ah.

Yeah.

MMM

Its a 2.3L turbo (T5) just had engine diagnostic done and there were no error codes.

Does have a bit (lot) of an oil leak. For which Volvo quoted my £1350 if its the main crank seal as the gear box has to come out apparently. I think a litre of oil every month or so is cheaper…

sundaywobbler

Depends on age of car…

After 1993 I would suggest it will cause a problem as the lambda sensor will be sensing too much oxygen in the exhaust and richening up the fuel system constantly. This will eventually cause the catalytic convertor to fail as the fuel/air mixture needs to be kept at 14.7/1 in order to achieve correct burn in the combustion chamber and efficient operation of the catalyst.

If it is before 1993 it should'nt be a problem apart from being noisey and the exhaust popping back on overrun due to excess oxygen again igniting any unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

HTH

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Where's the hole? What's the jet of hot gas hitting? Any insulation/rubber/fuel system components likely to get hot/burn/explode?

It may seem like an innocuous problem, but the consequences could be quite bad.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

2001 Volvo V70 T5,

No idea where the hole is. Volvo have just quoted me £855 quid to replace the manifold.

As for the oil leak, without looking at it they've said its the main crank seal, that'll be £1350 quid.

Think im going to have to get a second opinion.

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 Buy a performance car, pay performance repair bills! <I've learned that one!>

Hole in manifold – maybe problematic but it'll be a TINY hole for now and probably causing nothing more than slight overfueling if it's above the 02 sensor, but as said, in a short time that'll kill the cat. However I suspect you probably dont have a hole in the manifold, probably a warped manifold (common on turbo cars that are not allowed to cool off after a good thrashing) and it's blowing from the gasket area. Same fueling problem applies but the fix is just getting the manifold ground flat again (£20)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Exhaust Manifold, hole therein, how bad?’ is closed to new replies.