• This topic has 22 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Exercise bike advice for recovering son – esp Decathlon
  • jkomo

We’ve been advised by his physio to get the eldest boy, 14, on an exercise bike.
    He has an ICL tear plus other ligament damage on one knee (had MRI).
    He is also recovering from another serious condition that has left him a bit skinny.
    We want to get his fitness and knee strength ready for new adventures as quickly and safely as possible.
    Decathlon was first choice as we have one near, and they aren’t too pricey.
    I’ll use it on rainy dark evenings as well.
    Any ideas or advice would be great.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ask the physio about a wobble board or similar too. I think the small movements will help with his knee. IME the excersize bike will help but won’t re-build muscle. FYI I had an acl break and meniscus damage and the wobble board type excersize is very good

wanmankylung
    Free Member

An exercise bike will most definitely help. As would a turbo trainer..

Assuming physio was done through NHS they should be able to refer to a knee class which will include all the types of exercises that he’ll need and they’ll be able to progress him onto much more advanced things. I once had someone doing 6ft one legged plyometric hops over a series of 18″ hurdles in one of my classes. 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TiRed

I’d try him on rollers rather than an exercise bike. More fun, more challenge. He’s not trying to blast out FTP+20% sprinting intervals, just recovery rides and get his knees turning over. Resistance on larger rollers is about level 1-2 on a turbo, that and low gears will see him spinning with ease.

jkomo

No room for a turbo unfortunately.
    I’m not sure about wobble board yet, but will ask the physio.
    It is NHS, I’ll ask the physio about classes Wanmanky, but where are you based?

mrhoppy

Where are you, Mrs hoppy has one that she’s trying to get shot of.

jkomo

Oxford/ Banbury way

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

No room for a turbo unfortunately.

???
    How can you have room for an exercise bike but not a turbo/rollers?
    (Which use your existing equipment, maybe with an extra wheel) and fold down to (almost) nothing)

In comparison an exercise bike is (moderately) massive, and a bugger to fold up and store. You can hang a turbo up in the garage, or sling it under a bed…..

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It is NHS, I’ll ask the physio about classes Wanmanky, but where are you based?

I’m not in the NHS any more. There should be classes everywhere though.

hammyuk
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly Ghost!
    £100 gets a full Turbo kit from Decathlon right now.

jkomo

Okay, turbo plus bike is what I will struggle to have out and in use.
    Want it able to jump on daily and wifey won’t want a bike in the house permanently.
    If we had a spare room I’d already have a turbo set up.

igm

Beware. I have knee issues and exercise bikes aggravate them. Turbos and rollers on a properly set up bike are fine.

Your son may have a different experience of course.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

some Taxc rollers half price on Amazon atm…

hammyuk
    Free Member

Still don’t get it though – iWife will allow a full exercise bike that weighs tons to be setup in the house but not the bike you already own?
    It won’t take up any more room, if she really moans – its 30s to unlock it from the turbo and move it unlike shifting 30-40kgs of complete exercise bike.

jkomo

I’ll run the turbo trainer idea passed her again.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Nah, just do it.

We can get ours set up and ready to roll in about a minute, same to strip down and pack up.

Exercise bikes sit in the corner being used to hang stuff on.

jkomo

It’s the ten minutes to get the bike out the garage that doesn’t help.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Is there not a PureGym or some other budget chain near you? One of them might be a better option that getting something for the house.

jkomo

Nah, there’s only expensive ones.

mrchrispy

got a cross trainer going but its freaking massive 😀

jkomo

I might get one of my bikes resprayed in Farrow and Ball, see if that helps.

mrhoppy

jkomo – Member
    Oxford/ Banbury way

We’re in Shrewsbury so probably a bit far but if you want to know more drop me an email, address in profile. I’d be glad to get rid of it. Mrs hoppy used it whilst recovering from a heart op, now it just gets in the way.

jkomo

Mr H ygm

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Exercise bike advice for recovering son – esp Decathlon’ is closed to new replies.