Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • exercise and mood
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK, we all know the mood lifting benefits of exercise & I always feel happier the morning after an evening ride.
    Unfortunately it’s winter and the weather is awful so that means turbo sessions. It just doesn’t make me feel much better the next day, I know any exercise is better than none but are certain types better than others for mental health?

mattyfez

Cold is not an issue for me, I prefer it in some ways. it’s just a question of layering up, even cheaply, a t-shirt fleece and light weight waterproof is often more than enough.

Rain on the other hand can be miserable on rides over an hour, you get saturated, wet feet, putting damp hands back into cold gloves.. Not fun.

But I still feel I’d prefer it to training in a gym or a turbo at home.. As you don’t get the full experience, the sights, the sounds, the smells, etc.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cold isn’t a problem, ice/rain/wind are what put me off riding in the dark during the week. After riding home from work I’m loathe to go out in it again tbh.

mattyfez

I must admit, other than my very short bike commute (mainly train) I only go for a ride at weekends this time of year.. That’s mainly because it’s dark though… Making sure batteries are charged etc is too much after a days work.

scotroutes

Yeah – I’m feeling pretty gash at the moment. Not ridden in almost three weeks after a fall caused a knee injury. I hate the turbo/gym though and I’d much rather wrap up and get outside. Cold doesn’t bother me too much as I just dress accordingly. Wet is a bit more annoying as being fully waterproof usually means riding in my own wee self-generated steam bath.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mtb round here is pretty pointless atm, hills are still absolutely sopping. Road is no fun in the rain and dark so turbo it is.
    I can’t run so that’s out.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ve never really felt good the morning after a ride, it’s during and straight after for me. Endorphins and adrenalin I suppose. Depending on the weather/time of year I think there’s other aspects as well, being out on a nice day for obvious reasons but also I feel great after battling the elements and getting home. Its all good and why I love mountain biking 🙂

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I’ve been finding long walks more satisfying than cycling in the last few weeks. I work outside a lot and the thought of covering my bike and myself in filth on a long cold ride after a week working out of a muddy van doesn’t exactly fill me with happy thoughts. I felt like I was acting out some form of penance on Saturday when I went out for a ride. I wouldn’t consider myself a fair weather rider by any means but after weeks of soggy, claggy weather I’m more in the mood for a decent walk. Plus I don’t have to spend hours in a cold draughty garage cleaning my bike afterwards.

djglover
    Free Member

I have had a knee injury that has prevented any kind of training for the most of the winter, I am getting back into it now but I took great pleasure in managing a short run and 1 hour on the turbo yesterday. I don’t derive a great deal of pleasure from playing with traffic in the dark so I’m now looking forward to zwift before the weather allows some light evening rides

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve just started spinning classes for some bike-exercise motivation. I don’t enjoy it at the time, but it works well for me.

certain types better than others for mental health?

For sure; the more intense the better for me. Riding is the big one for keeping the black dog at bay, but I’ve lost the love for it ATM. Its been replaced by snowboarding (fun!!) and wing chun (challenging). Both have their own intensities – and are weirdly similar.

pictonroad

We’ve sorted this. Suburban cross. Take your modern gravel/cross bike and sprint round every cut through in your area. Done it on a few Tuesday’s now and it’s bloomin splendid. You stay clean and get a full uplifting ride. Stuck in a couple of multi storeys (if available) for climbing.

Strava – 18 miles in half a town.

I’m reluctant to head back into the mire now.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im with Big Dave and Muddy Dwarf on this. after working outside in the mud and filth and Wet i just dont want to go out on the bike. cold is fine but the wet and cold and dark is just no good (maybe if i worked indoors it would be different) . i really like the idea of suburban cross….. ive been trying to work out some kind of downhill run through my local NCP multistory carpark 😆

ianfitz
    Free Member

For me is not just the exercise its the being outside in the elements that makes it. But I work indoors

There’s something extra that comes from it. Being in the moment or whatever. But it’s not the same feeling as I get from s turbo session.

deadkenny
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member
    Cold isn’t a problem, ice/rain/wind are what put me off riding in the dark during the week. After riding home from work I’m loathe to go out in it again tbh.

I don’t do commutes, just drive home in a warm car, but then go out for a night ride (off road) in the rain and mud with a bunch of others and I find it’s a right laugh 😀

I force myself to do it as some days are just stressful or got an anxiety buzz, and getting out for a ride with others is a massive relief.

Aside from getting into mountain biking, the second best thing I’ve done was getting into night riding. Suddenly I can ride through winter during the week. The weather I just live with. It’s Britain after all.

I’m also working from home now on certain days and I try to make sure it ties in with night ride days. Less hassle than trying to get ready at work and drive to where I’m riding.

And urban MTB – did one for first time recently and was a blast 😀 . Got to be done with a group and has to be a bit cheeky. Does mean you can’t do it too often, else piss a lot of people off. Though at night you tend not to run into many people who’d be bothered. Especially if you stick to business parks (ideally ones with steps, ramps, car parks – multi story in particular 😉 ).

surfer
    Free Member

I have ran pretty much every day (more and more slowly !) for the last 35 years. When I cant run I am like a bear with a sore head. My wife and kids always have a look of fear if I say I cant run for whatever reason.
    It really is a bit of a concern I get very low if I cant run.

scotroutes

Whoopee! Managed a wee spin on the bike earlier. It wasn’t much – just round some of my usual haunts – but the knee held out and IT felt AWESOME just to be outside pedalling again.

ourmaninthenorth

I think it’s increasingly recognised that the concept of endorphins crossing the blood/brain barrier is a myth and that the recognised benefits of exercise are psychological and derived from being outdoors.

When I was exercising for me the happiness came from being outdoors primarily. The rest was from the meditative effects of focussing on just one thing for a period of time (and separating myself from the drudgery of life).

That’s why I think the turbo isn’t working: not outdoors, and not long enough to focus on one thing/distract from work.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘exercise and mood’ is closed to new replies.