Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Exemplar Education – leaflets from school
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

For online maths and english tuition. Came home in my boys bag from school with a note from the headteacher to return the form “regardless of level of interest”.

Bit of googling shows it to be much the same company as Student Support Centre (here and here). And that the school gets some cash for sending out leaflets and collecting the slips.

Think this should have been made clear in the letter from the headteacher, along with a clear statement on whether or not this was endorsed by the school.

And is it actually any good? I also see no mention of cost in the leaflet which again raises concern.

matt_outandabout

It does seem a conflict of interest.

Is the school saying ‘this is good, for all pupils’. In which case, it should be free and part of their education at that school.

Is the school saying ‘we have been paid for this’. In which case bin letter and ask where the income is being spent.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve just sent a letter to the headteacher along those lines.

I’d like to see a policy from the school on this sort of advertising, especially if it’s paid. IMO anything they put in my kids bag to bring home is implicitly endorsed by the school.

The leaflet itself raises a number of concerns. Asks for a bunch of personal info with a want / don’t want further info check box. What happens to your personal info. No mention of what happens if you ask for more info. No mention whatsoever of cost. Lots of red text saying it’s very important to complete regardless of interest, and this is backed up by a note on the envelope attributed to “The Headteacher”.

If they are to do this sort of thing I think there should be a very clear covering letter. Costs should be made clear up front. Any benefits the school gets should be made clear. And preferably a selection of schemes should be included.

matt_outandabout

Asks for a bunch of personal info with a want / don’t want further info check box. What happens to your personal info. No mention of what happens if you ask for more info.

The current and new personal data rules would surely cover this…

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’m more concerned about what happens if you do tick that you want more info. From what I can make out about the former company, they would then send around a sales person to give you the hard sell to tie you into a scheme that costs thousands (source). None of that is in the leaflet.

martinhutch

Scamtastic. I wouldn’t be sending the form back, TBH. If they have to go through the ballache of following up with dozens of similarly minded parents, perhaps that will be found to outweigh the modest financial benefits of promoting this stuff.

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

I’d be a bit embarrassed if that was my school. Poorly explained and trying to scare parents into paying a fortune for something the school should be providing- i.e. A proper education
    Throw it in the bin!

chewkw
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    And is it actually any good? I also see no mention of cost in the leaflet which again raises concern.

No idea. But it looks like private tuition in the far east. In the far east teachers moonlight to get extra income that way. Very normal over there. Some private tutors earn many times that of the teachers there without added responsibility. Some teachers know children get private tuition so do not put much efforts into teaching … private tutors know teaching don’t teach properly so pick up the responsibility. Win Win for teachers and private tutors. Parents and children lose out on money and time. 😮

Private tuition in the UK cost per hour range from £35 to £50, depending on subject, based on my niece and nephew experience here few years ago. 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Exemplar Education – leaflets from school’ is closed to new replies.