Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exel question
  • I’m a dullard, so this will probably be a simple one.

I’m editing a workbook created by someone else, putting tasks into a simple programme of works for a year.

I’ve added a column to put numbers in relating to the frequency of the task, so I can filter.

So far down the sheet, when trying to input a number, all I get is a hashtag in bold. Formatting the cell to numbers or general, unlocking the cell, changing the font etc all make no difference.

Help please

Ta

munkster
    Free Member

Make the column wider?

poly
    Free Member

Make the column width bigger – it usually means you can’t fit the content it then you can work out why…

Nope, 52 fits, 1 shows as a hashtag – can’t get it off bold either

munkster
    Free Member

Is it some sort of crazy conditional formatting?

Home -> Conditional Formatting – Clear Rules

Conditional formatting is greyed out

munkster
    Free Member

Sounds like the “someone else” who made it has done something to stop you from doing too much then.

Beyond me now, I’m out 🙂 😉

funkmasterp

Can you save your own copy as a different format, binary workbook, something like that? This should bring all options back.

poly
    Free Member

But do you know if it is actually showing 1 or 1.000000000 or some other odd thing? If you select the cell and it is a number it’s content is usually shown in the status bar (but not its formatting).

Is the cell protected? That sounds likely if you have it in bold. In which case google for unprotected cell for whichever version of excel you use. Hopefully it’s not password protected – although excel passwords are about as much use as Poundland bike lock….

Sorted

Saved as a separate CSV, then back to Exel, then copied and pasted that column and all seems ok now.

Ta for helping

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exel question’ is closed to new replies.