Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Exciting! Which Grease?
  • cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Just serviced & re-greased some Shimano Hubs

I used Lithium Grease, which according to the label says it’s suitable for use with bearings

My LBS tells me that I really should have used some thicker grease

The question is which one? (I stupidly didn’t ask the LBS what they recommended)

nsaints
    Free Member
    stimpy
    Free Member

This is the stuff I use

Big tub o’gloop

mindmap3
    Free Member

I use either Motorex or the Park stuff. The latter seems really good and good value too.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

It’s not a massively complex job for the lube, low revs, low load, pretty much any grease will do…but thick and waterproof are nice. Morris K99 for me (head bearings too).

Or you pay tons more for some grease that’s been died pink (or whatever) from a boutique bike company who don’t make lubes.

vinylspin
    Free Member

I have been using car or motorbike general thick Castrol or Comma grease all my life (yellow stuff in big tubs and much cheaper than the bike specific) for hubs, bearings, headsets and never had any issues.

mrelectric

Got a few but +1 for the Park blue stuff.

Northwind

Silkolene RG2 has always done well for me in bearings.

Ambrose

As vinylspin says- it’s grease ffs. It is usually automatically waterproof anyway. That is why you need soap/ detergent to wash it off your hands after you have used it.

In bearings the thicker the better I reckon. I’ve used oil from a tin of mackerel in extremis. It’s rubbish, get some good old castrol in there.

user-removed
    Free Member

I bought a tube of Finish Line white grease about 10 years ago. The shop assistant told me it’d be the only grease I’d ever need. He was right – I still haven’t finished it.

jasonm945
    Free Member

How about THIS?

I use it on bearings and it’s cheap!

jimification
    Free Member

Bicycle grease“? Utter nonsense – Wish I’d thought of it, though!

We’re currently using: “Carlube LM2”. from my local Bunces (DIY chain) a massive great tin of thick greasy stuff for a four quidish.

boxfish
    Free Member

Granville multi-purpose grease. £4 for a 500g tin.

asterix
    Free Member

What user-removed said – a tube of Finish Line

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Same as Northwind. Have tried lots of different greases and am very happy with Silkolene. Seems to stick well to surfaces and stops rust and water ingress and bearings seem less restricted or rough.

johnnystorm

If I’m isn’t home I just use anything from a big tub. I keep the expensive bike grease (in a handy tube) for when I’m out and about.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Yep another Silkolene RG2 user. Its red so must be fast too

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve used RG2, Castrol LM, Finishline and a few others, but nothing appears to be more water resistant than the flourescent green Shimano Pro-Set Lube I bought many years ago (and is soon to run out).

trail_rat
    Free Member

Boat axel grease is the stuff for the commuter hubs, try your local ship chandlers 😉 – just dont get it on your clothes it wont come out.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Rg2 for me

epicyclo

trail_rat – Member
    Boat axel grease is the stuff for the commuter hubs, try your local ship chandlers – just dont get it on your clothes it wont come out.

+1

schnor
    Free Member

Galli / campag grease is very good and what I use most of the time, Motorex 2000 for when I need something less claggy, and for brake seals / forks / shocks Carlube Silicone Grease is excellent.

In fairness though the £5 tubs of general grease are more than good enough.

drgalactus
    Free Member

I use http://www.green-oil.net/ on everything cos I’m a massive hippy 😀

Also it makes my bike smell nice.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Exciting! Which Grease?’ is closed to new replies.