• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mt.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Excited….. They've found a box :) (spitfire content)
  • stumpyjon

Full of muddy water…..

dooosuk
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

crush83
    Free Member

Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

their going to pump it out not pan it 😉 ……

CountZero

Now, if someone can just locate some crated and buried Beaufighters,Typhoons or Tempests in good nick, I’d get very excited! 😀

dday

It’s probably just a plane box.. 😉

nedrapier

“encouraging” to find a crate full of muddy water?

expecting the contents to be in very good condition after they’ve been submerged in muddy water? How many wet/ dry cycles has the contents of this crate been through?

Still interested, though!

sputnik
    Free Member

“…crate full of muddy water…” , in Burma??????
    That bollocks, Wiki says he was buried in Chicago.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

expecting the contents to be in very good condition after they’ve been submerged in muddy water? How many wet/ dry cycles has the contents of this crate been through?

Piece I read a while back said that the crates were thought to be deep enough that they’d be below the water table, permanently wet and thus minimal oxygen/corrosion.

bencooper
    Free Member

Coincidentally my mother-in-law was in Burma over Christmas, tracking down a sister ship to the Waverley. She found it too – a Glasgow-made paddle steamer still puttering about 😉

nedrapier

Ah, cheers Simon, that makes sense. We shall see! Exciterometer flickering up a notch.

singletracked
    Free Member

“…crate full of muddy water…” , in Burma??????
    That bollocks, Wiki says he was buried in Chicago.

*Clap clap*

soma_rich
    Free Member

bencooper whats is the Waverleys sister ship called. Any info online? I would be interested in reading about that!

plop_pants
    Free Member

A washer and a packet of Haribo.

bencooper
    Free Member

bencooper whats is the Waverleys sister ship called. Any info online? I would be interested in reading about that!

No idea 🙂 All I’ve seen is an emailed photo of the thing, which looks like the Waverley but with big awnings all over it.

Northwind

nedrapier – Member

Some of the ones that are currently flying were recovered from their crash sites years on- there’s a Mk1 that was in a river for 30 years

boblo
    Free Member

Apparently they found a slightly bent one in the middle of the main East Mids runway yesterday…

mt
    Free Member

CountZero – Member
    Now, if someone can just locate some crated and buried Beaufighters,Typhoons or Tempests in good nick, I’d get very excited!

Now if they also found some Fokkerwulfs, some 109’s and various Heinkels. Oh and what about a Zero then that would be a bit of fun.

Personally I’d like the start an Ack Ack reenactment society.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Excited….. They've found a box :) (spitfire content)’ is closed to new replies.