Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exchange rates-Euros-where to get the best ???
  • pearlbaz
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been asked on here before, but is it best to get your Euros over here before travelling, or do the local resorts (ie in Crete) give better rates. Who does the best deals over here? I’ve had a quick search online, and the Post Office seems to come out best. Anyone know any different. I’ve heard you get poor rates at the airports.
    I’d rather take cash, than risk getting my card cloned on the continent.
    Thanks,
    Baz

stgeorge

Post office, but buy them on-line to get delivered to local post office – you get a better rate than you getif you buy at the actual post office.

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – for holiday cash it really doesn’t make that much difference, certainly not enough to go searching around outside of the usual places

Travelex at the airport is usually cheap if ordered in advance

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I went to Ireland last week, got a euro for 95p from the post office and for 90p at the cash point in Dublin (plus a £2 charge)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Travelex at the airport is usually cheap if ordered in advance

Do they need paying in advance by card? With most cards you need to exchange cash for cash or else you get charged a fortune by your bank. Basically however you change money, don’t use a debit or credit card to pay, or else you pay ‘cash advance’ fees. Take the UK cash out of your bank, and take it to somewhere to do the exchange.

For me last time, it turned out my online bank (smile) did the best deal – just phoned em up and they posted it out next day delivery. Money came straight out of my account. Dead easy.

Joe

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys…

peterfile
    Free Member

Just use your bank card at bank ATMs (not dodgy shop ones where you definitely will get silly charges slapped on it).

Seriously. The amount you might “save” by shopping around will be negligble compared to the convenience and relative security of using your bank card.

IMO you’re more likely to have cash stolen than your card cloned, and you’re more likely to recover the money if it’s your card that is cloned than cash getting stolen.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I got 1.06 euro to the £ This morning at the post office.

pearlbaz
    Free Member

they were advertising 1.117 online

uplink
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exchange rates-Euros-where to get the best ???’ is closed to new replies.