Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Exceptionally uninteresting car tyre question
  • rascal
    Free Member

MOT last Sat flagged rear tyres on Mk7 Golf 2.0TDI. More M1 miles than anything else.
    In the last 2.5 years I’ve bought a pair of Good Year Efficient Grip Performance (2 years ago so 34k plus miles and now need replacing – were fitted to front but swapped to back a while ago). Pair of Dunlop Sport Maxx RT now on front fitted in Nov – good reviews but wheel spin in first gear when wet more than the others ever did. Tempted by Continental Sport Contact 5 – good reviews/price etc. Looking to get them fitted Sat. Thoughts? Useful ones other than this being a dull t(h)read 😉

zeesaffa
    Free Member

I geeked out in tyre research a while back myself. Kept coming back to Conti Sports. Now have the 5s on bith cars and I think they’re the best all round tyre for the money.
    The Goodyear Eagle F1 is also pretty good imo.

frankconway

Pirelli P Zero Rosso on merc e estate.
    No complaints.

johnners
    Free Member

I always found Contis start getting noisy when about half worn, I avoid them now. I’ll probably buy Cross Climates next, if I decide to ditch the runflats.

br
    Free Member

As a decent all-round tyre I’ve always bought Avon’s, in whatever model needed for the car/wheel combo I have at the time. Not cheap but good performance and a good range of sizes.

For the wife’s cars we’ve always paid more and put on Michelins.

And while I always use to put the new tyres on the front (for FWD), current thinking is that it’s better to put them on the rear. Easier (non-driving gods) to recover from understeer than it is from oversteer. 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Thoughts?

Go lightly on the accelerator?

richmtb

Cross Climates have the best traction of any tyres I’ve used

I’ve got a pretty powerful FWD hatch.

I got wheelspin and even axle tramp in 1st and 2nd gear with Goodyear Eagle F1, Pirelli PZero Rosso, and Falken FK452.

No issues with the Cross Climates and grip in the wet is excellent too

Waderider
    Free Member

Axle tramp on a modern car? Interesting, and impossible!

andyl
    Free Member

Axle tramp on a modern car? Interesting, and impossible!

not if the bushes are goosed.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’ve just gone for another set of Eagle F1 AS3s, best tyre I’ve found when trying to balance grip/wear/cost/noise (in that order).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Exceptionally uninteresting car tyre question’ is closed to new replies.