Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Excel Wrangling – Your Workbook contains links…..
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Got a workbook that ended up referencing another one, all the references are removed but the break links button doesn’t work and it keeps complaining that it has links to a non existent file.

So whats going wrong and any tips?

jam-bo
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

it would be but no cell in the workbook contains the link.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is the workbook a copy of another?
    Is one of the tabs either copied from another workbook or moved from another workbook?
    Is the workbook “saved As” another file then the links taken out?

All the above I’ve had problems with.

Folks create workbooks then link to sheets they’ve saved locally, when they share them the links busted but either still think the links live or just cant reference the cell location so brings in a blank cell (which then screws up the formula(s))
    I don’t know exactly why but some links are ghosted, like they are still there even though you’ve disabled them.

Tried going into settings and opening as a raw file so you just get the results of the formulas or cells without the actual formulas? I have to do this quite often, then I go to the originator of the workbook and wrap the thing around thier head.

Worth a try unless you need the formulas or indeed links.

What version excel? 10??

What I should qualify is T’is, you could save the file as a .CSV then it’ll open as a Raw data file. You can then save that as something else, then open the original workbook and go through to “show formulas” in tools and recreate the formulas in your new file saved.
    HTH.
    It’s a bit long winded I know, probably a far easier way to sort out your problem but this way I get to understand what the originators workings are like.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Quick update, I sent you down the wrong path for show formulas..

It’s in Excel/Preferences/Authoring/View/Window Options/Show Formulas..

Thats in V 11′

HTH

Stoner
    Free Member

mike – check you have no links to macros or objects from another workbook in your models VBA module.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll have a look, done a full search for the filename of the linked workbook with nothing found (there were a couple of instances but they have been removed)

stumpyjon

Id be with Stoner, itll be a linked object or a macro from another workbook. Can be a nightmare to track down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Excel Wrangling – Your Workbook contains links…..’ is closed to new replies.