Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Excel sorting question
  • stealthcat

This is a bit of an odd one, but I need to sort a file which includes Anglo-Saxon characters. At present, one of them is sorting correctly, but another is not. I’ve tried setting up a custom sort order, but that makes no difference.
    Is there a simple way of doing this, or do I need to sort the rogue entries into the right places manually?
    (It needs to be simple because I’ll be passing the file on to someone with next to no Excel skills – if I can set something up, that will be fine, but if it’s a particular sequence of actions, that will cause problems later on…)

konagirl
    Free Member

I guess Excel just sees the Anglo-Saxon letters simply as characters, it doesn’t know the order unlike Greek or Cyrillic script.

One idea would be to use the CODE() function to give you the numeric (ALT+####) value of the character and then apply a custom sort order to that number. You can always hide the column with the numeric value.

If that doesn’t work and you have to make manual amendments, learning how to write a macro might come in useful. If the data will always be of the same format, you can record a macro from the Developer ribbon tab, and then just re-run that macro. Might be a bit much for what you are trying to achieve!

stealthcat

Bump for the office workers…

I think the problem is that Excel is mis-identifying the character, as there are a couple that look the same but have different names; is there a way to make the custom sort over-ride the Excel alphabet?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Excel sorting question’ is closed to new replies.