Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • excel help – file size mushrooming
  • scruff9252

I’ve got something odd going on with one of my excel files.

It’s quite a small file <4000 cells of data with around 200 cells or so of nested if statements nd basic forumae. Nothing too major at all.

Earler it was sitting at 14MB which seemed excessive so found last collumn to end of page then cleared and did the same for last row to end.

Now it is a whopping 154MB! Any suggestions?

mogrim

Modern Excel files are just zip files – make a copy, change the extension to .zip and open it. You’ll probably find it’s embedding an image or something. Delete the offending file, rezip it, and change the extension back to xlsx. Open.

Like I said: make a copy! This usually works, but obviously deleting part of the file might leave you with a non-working copy… It should give you a hint though as to where to look in the original.

Edit for clarity: An xlsx file is a zip of a whole load of different files representing the bits of the worksheet. One of these is probably causing the problem.

mechanicaldope

Likely due to the blank rows/columns after your data. Although they might not contain any data it is possible that they are still considered active cells. Are the scroll bars really tricky to adjust by a small amount? I guess they are. Find the last column which contains data and highlight all columns after that. Delete these columns – don’t just clear the data. Then find the last row which contains data and delete all rows after that. Save and hopefully the file will be back to a regular size.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘excel help – file size mushrooming’ is closed to new replies.