Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Excel help – counting the number of times a value occurs in a column.
  • tthew

This would be easy if I had a small range of values to count by using the SUM and IF functions, but the data looks like this below, and runs to over 1000 lines.

Functional Loc.
    CNC-01-ACO-078 -LI
    CNC-01-ADG-PCV -003
    CNC-01-ADG-PCV -003
    CNC-01-ADG-PCV -045
    CNC-01-ADG-UV -055
    CNC-01-ADG-UV -055
    CNC-01-APB-UV -003
    CNC-01-APB-UV -003
    CNC-01-APH-065 -TE
    CNC-01-APH-UV -003
    CNC-01-APH-UV -007
    CNC-01-CET-LCV -004
    CNC-01-CEX-089 -FT
    etc.

So, is there a way of counting how may times a ‘functional location’ appears in that list, without having to state each one, then output that data into a table? Basically I want the SUM bit without having to specify an IF bit.

Thanks.

rondo101
    Free Member

pivot table?

scruff9252

Pivot table would be first choice, faiiling that countif function

tthew

Thanks gents, that’s a big help. I’ve used the pivot table to generate a list of the unique values in my data, which makes it easy to do the countif (not sum & if 🙄 ) function to find how many times.

It’s a bit manual, but doesn’t take long. Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

Eh?

Just put Functional location into the “Row Labels” and “Values” areas of the pivot table.

Stoner
    Free Member

coincidentally I posted this a while back, if you have the time it’s worth having a go at learning it as it’s a technique that will do what you’re after (and more).

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-learnt-a-powerful-new-excel-technique

nemesis
    Free Member

Get your SAP team to write a quick report 🙂

rondo101
    Free Member

Long-winded method tthew & not using pivot table to full potential. Njee has it:

Highlight “Functional Loc” column, Insert pivot table. Tick the box at the top of the pivot table box, which should place “Functional loc” in the “Row lables” box. Drag “Functional Loc” into the “Values” box. It should contain “Count of Functional Loc” & the number of instances for each reference is produced.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    coincidentally I posted this a while back, if you have the time it’s worth having a go at learning it as it’s a technique that will do what you’re after (and more).

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/just-learnt-a-powerful-new-excel-technique

Ummm… it *may* not matter too much but I’m back to a bit of Excel dev. again these days and now know what it was I use to get round Offset() not being able to use Indirect()

Option Explicit
    Public Function DyIndirect(sName As String) As Range
    ””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””’
    ‘Allows a cell to be referenced that contains a range name in the ‘
    ‘way you’d expect INDIRECT() funtion to work, but doesn’t. ‘
    ”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””
    ‘Modified by Rob Hilton 20/07/09 from code pinched from here: ‘
    http://www.dailydoseofexcel.com/archives/2005/03/01/indirect-and-dynamic-ranges/’
    ”””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””””
    Dim nName As Name
    Application.Volatile
    ‘Make sure the name supplied exists
    On Error Resume Next
    Set nName = ActiveWorkbook.Names(sName)
    Set nName = ActiveSheet.Names(sName)
    On Error GoTo 0

‘Set the function to the range or return the name error
    If Not nName Is Nothing Then
    Set DyIndirect = nName.RefersToRange
    Else
    DyIndirect = CVErr(xlErrName)
    End If
    End Function

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Rob. I was just reading through to the end of that thread and realised I’d not resolved that bit. Next time I play with similar I shall have a go with your piece of VBA, (which may be sooner than it might, I have a project coming up which I think may call on something like this)

Cheers

tthew

Get your SAP team to write a quick report

Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha hah!!……
    Would be quicker for me to write it all out by hand and count up on my fingers.

Just put Functional location into the “Row Labels” and “Values” areas of the pivot table

It won’t let me put the same field in two ‘areas’. My way is functional enough, I’m happy with that.

nemesis
    Free Member

🙂

Where are you getting the data from?

tthew

It’s from SAP as suggested up there, exported into a spreadsheet. I think I can automatically populate a Pivot Table, will have a go at that later.

njee20
    Free Member

It should let you put it in values and another area, although not in two of row/column/filter.

nemesis
    Free Member

Where in SAP though?

FWIW, you can export straight into a pivot table from most ALV (the grid type) reports.

tthew

Where in SAP though?

List of maintenance notifications. Transaction IW29. It’s as part of a monthly report I do looking at operational losses at our power station, and I have been asked to include assets that are repeatedly breaking down, (even where there is no associated generation loss)

Me, yesterday.

nemesis
    Free Member

🙂

You could set a display variant to just list out the functional locations and then a direct export to pivot table

Or do you have access to SQVI or SE16(N) (though actually I don’t think that’ll be any faster)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Excel help – counting the number of times a value occurs in a column.’ is closed to new replies.