Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • excel fans: charts with confidence intervals – please
  • scaredypants

Have some mean % “scores” for differing categories that I want to plot on a bar chart (doddle, done). Would also like to shove the 95% CI for each mean onto the plot.
    (I have the means and the CI calculated for each category & they’re on the spreadsheet just as numbers)
    How do I get the CI on the chart ?
    (I know excel can do the calc itself but can’t see how I put em in on the plot – presumably I use the secondary axis, but otherwise … ?)

May be totally up the wrong tree here 🙄 should I be selecting the “raw” scores, inserting a graph and then doing something clever ?

🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

you have to fool the chart builder.

What I usually do is overlay 2x bar charts. The first one is mean + conf, the second is mean – conf, then you can add a third plot with markers at the mean. Make the second bar chart white then you end up with floating bars 2 confs wide with a marker in the middle at the mean.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what stoner said. You need 3 series on the same chart, overlaid

scaredypants

sorry stoner, just lolled

wtf does that lot mean (def no pun intended) ?

(think I may have to use felt tips after all)

How about high low close chart, since I’ve calculated the 3 variables already ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Like this I just did:

Create three columns of your data:

Mean – confidence value, Mean + confidence value, Mean

Make a bar chart out of the first two, set overlap to 100 but change the series order if you need to. Then add the markers as a third chart.

Send me the data and I can do it for you quickly enough …

chickadee
    Free Member

Depends which version of Excel you’re using. If it’s 2007, select the data series on your chrt, go to the chart tools tab & there’s a button for error bars. Click “custom” and then select the data range that has your numbers in. On earlier ones,, follow the instructions from page 11 of this:

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/schools/sciences/biology/Acstaff/Jdover/Downloads/Error_bars_in_Excel_2002.pdf

scaredypants

great this, isn’t it ?!

remedial excel

I am on 2007, so will try chickadee’s 1st – no offence, just that’s what I’d imagined it’d be like and I’ve no real idea how I’m going to overlay. What I’d really like is a histogram with column height equal to the means, then an overlaid line, preferably looking like a capital “I” around the top of the column

off for a play – once I’ve fed the chillen

cheers one & all

geoffj

Ignore Stoner’s excel advice at your peril. It’s usually spot on.

Stoner
    Free Member

scaredy – this is using the inbuilt error bar function on the line chart type in 2007

you still need to do two charts, the first is your mean histogram column chart. The second is the line chart using the same mean data, but then add “Y-error bars” (both plus and minus) and then link to your confidence differences in the “custom” box at the bottom of the dialogue box.

scaredypants

Oh yeah, I know stoner’s good

but <MJackson> I’m baaaad </MJackson> (actually, chickadee is)

(never really been comfortable with the term, but) *fist-pump* Yesss !

Once I’d worked out what it was asking for, the custom option delivered gorgeously; all without me having to learn how to superimpose things 😳

Thanks folks

Stoner
    Free Member

I think it’s “fist-bump”. Fist pump is something entirely different 😉

(on a similar subject does anyone else have to do a double take when the see an ad for “Robson Green’s Extreme Fishing” or is it just me?)

scaredypants

I think it’s “fist-bump”

oh 😳 – never did seem right that the golfers and their wives were doing it on the green in the Ryder cup

never seen Robson’s offering but do remember somebody on here posting about a book “fisting for Jesus” or something very similar 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘excel fans: charts with confidence intervals – please’ is closed to new replies.