Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • exceedingly tight tyres and ghetto tubeless… grrr
  • VanHalen

tried to fit a bonty jones tubless to a 321 rim last night with a 20″ tube rim strip. f88k me it was difficult!.

took me 45 min to fit the tyre to the rim!. its the most stupidly basterd tight tyre i’ve ever used including a wide range of downhill tyres.

then you have the issue of the rim strip. how do you lever the tyre on the rim without mullering the rim strip. i think mine must be knackered. the tyres up but i’m not holding out for long term airtightness.

it had better work ok as a rear tyre or i’ll not be a happy camper!

so has anyone else got any good combo’s to avoid or advice regarding hte rim strip issue of ghetto?

cheers, mark

Brown
    Free Member

Let’s hope you don’t get a puncture…

Took me about 30 minutes to get a similarly tight tyre off the rim in the cold/wet once. That was fun.

DezB
    Free Member

These are a massive help

tim41
    Free Member

Sounds familiar. Jones ACX on a mavic 717 and an one one retard rim were both very tight. I’ve had no non-sealing punctures in 2 months but I’m fully expecting to have to ditch the rim strip if an emergency tube has to go in.
    Bought some steel cored plastic tyres levers as a result of this.
    Going to try maxxis monorails on 717 ghetto set up tonight so will have another combo to compare.

Brown
    Free Member

On the tyre levers note, I’ve found Pedros tyre levers to be superb (the wide, fat ones). MUCH better than something like the plastic park tools ones.

And you can get them in orange.

sq225917
    Free Member

masochists, why don’t you just use latex tubes and get used to topping them up regularly?

VanHalen

these things are there to be tried.

the tubeless inflation bit was dead easy.

actually getting the tyre on hte rim was the problem.

13thfloormonk

If its any consolation, I’ve found that the tighter the tyre is, the better the resulting tubeless set up.

I make mine fit tight by building the rim up with insulating tape. I then coat everything in soapy water, wrestle the tyre on with my thumbs and then re-align the rim strip.

This done, it inflates dead easy, and I’ve never had a single burp or leak since.

sq225917, are latex tubes less prone to pinch flats? I understood they resisted thorn/glass punctures better..

VanHalen

no building up on the rim required! once round with the insulation tape and the bmx innertube only.

no soapy water required either. the tyre was so tight on the rim strip in the middle of the rim there was no air leaks!

there is no way in hell the tyre would have gone on without tyre levers. even without the rim strip.

i`m dreading trying to get the fecker off.

teaandbiscuits
    Free Member

on a similar but opposite note, how do you get the tyres to seat with a loose tyre? Using small block 8s on 317 disc. Lots of soapy water?

VanHalen

one of those clinchy baggage wrap things around the diameter of the tyre helps. build up the rim with wwhatever lightweight crap you have to hand (thin foamy packing stuff worked for me)

or give up and get better tyres. thats what my mate resorted to.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘exceedingly tight tyres and ghetto tubeless… grrr’ is closed to new replies.